PDA

View Full Version : JBJ chiller questions

smoothsailor
08/23/2008, 08:07 PM
I have the JBJ 1/4hp chiller and have some questions:

The chiller has a 1 degree spread for turning on and off: that is if the temp is set for 80 degrees, it wont come on until the temperature reaches 81, then it wont shut off untill 79.

Is this right?

Can the spread be changed?

Also, the compressor wont actually turn on until 3 minutes AFTER the temperature reaches 81, so if that is the case, then per the above example, if the heat is increasing during the daytime, if the temperature starts to climb and it reaches 81 degrees, and then has to wait 3 mintues, the temperature might actually be higher then 81 degree, (81.5 degrees)

Do I just need to compensate for this situation and set my temperature to come on at 78.5 knowing that it will take it's sweet time to click on, which should be around 80???

I plan on using this chiller with an aquacontroller Jr. BUT, the ACjr will not even have power to the chiller until it reaches it's own programmed SET POINT. But again, after powering on, there is a 3 minute waiting period...

Also, will the onboard controller remember the programmed set point that i originally set each time the chiller is shut off then on???

Chiller seems great if it werent for these questions..

Tell me what you all do???

trd47
08/23/2008, 08:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13214931#post13214931 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by smoothsailor
I have the JBJ 1/4hp chiller and have some questions:

Originally posted</a> by smoothsailor [/i]
[B]The chiller has a 1 degree spread for turning on and off: that is if the temp is set for 80 degrees, it wont come on until the temperature reaches 81, then it wont shut off untill 79.

Is this right?

Right

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13214931#post13214931 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by smoothsailor
Can the spread be changed?

No

Also, the compressor wont actually turn on until 3 minutes AFTER the temperature reaches 81, so if that is the case, then per the above example, if the heat is increasing during the daytime, if the temperature starts to climb and it reaches 81 degrees, and then has to wait 3 mintues, the temperature might actually be higher then 81 degree, (81.5 degrees)

Doesn't take that long. If your tank temp climbs 0.5 degrees every 3 minutes then your chiller would be on every 12 minutes (highly doubt that).

Do I just need to compensate for this situation and set my temperature to come on at 78.5 knowing that it will take it's sweet time to click on, which should be around 80???

No

I plan on using this chiller with an aquacontroller Jr. BUT, the ACjr will not even have power to the chiller until it reaches it's own programmed SET POINT. But again, after powering on, there is a 3 minute waiting period...

You will find out the reading on the chiller to be way different form the AcJr. Follow the reading form the ACJr. The AcJr will be reading lower than the chiller and as for the chiller's thermostate you may want to set it a degree lower than the AcJr. Ex. I have my AC set to turn my chiller on when the tank temp reaches 79.3 degrees while the chiller is set to start chilling at 79. That way the chiller has time to get the compressor warmed up and when it reaches 79.5 (my set point) it'll be ready to go.

Also, will the onboard controller remember the programmed set point that i originally set each time the chiller is shut off then on???

Yes

FelipeRB
08/23/2008, 09:09 PM
turn on one degree up and turn off one degree down of your temp seeted

I think you only need to reprogram your chiller, if you want down the temp set, leaves pressed the "V"( down ) botton for 3 seconds, and the temp display begins to blink and wen you read your new desired temp let the botton, maybe 78° is better, whit these tourn on at 79 and turn off at 77. I think all the chiller work like these way, i guess is the range is less, your chiller work all the time.

smoothsailor
08/23/2008, 10:46 PM
I did exagerate on the temperature increase, sorry, didnt mean to confuse anyone...

As for the different reading between the AC and the JBJ, I found out how to calibrate the temperature on the JBJ to match the AC, or other source...

It seems to take a couple times to get closer to the set temperature, but after two or three tries, it seems to be within a tenth of teh ACjr...

(press both up and down buttons for 5 seconds, till the digits flash, then change the temp and wait for it set into memory...

Thanks for the help...

(BTW: on the controller board there is two trim pots... (I bet those are to set the spread on temperature and delay.... But I aint gonna try it)

OliverM3
08/24/2008, 08:10 AM
With my 1/5 JBJ I have it hooked in to a controller but just as a safety net.
And the setpoint swing that you describe is the same on mine as well.

My thoughts were that if the external controller kept shutting the chiller off it would be like yanking out the cord 10 to 15 times a day everyday.
So I set my controller to keep power to the chiller unless the temp drops below 75.

Before my external controller I had a chillers internal controller go nuts and cool my tank down to 65 luckily I noticed in the morning before work and unhooked it. I didn't loose anything.
I was amazed that all the corals were able to take a 15 degree swing.
I'd rather use both controllers independently and not rely on a single controller again.

smoothsailor
08/24/2008, 01:36 PM
to the top for more feedback!!!

thanks

A.T.T.R
08/24/2008, 01:39 PM
dont worry about it

i have 5 degree temp swings daily.. sometimes 10
the 2 degrees isnt going to kill anything at all or hurt it :)

smoothsailor
08/24/2008, 03:22 PM
I guess when you put it that way...

it aint no biggie, just trying to figure stuff out...

thanks for all the help. :)