PDA

View Full Version : all tissue gone from sps in a matter of days

Aerowen
08/23/2008, 08:35 PM
begging about 2 days ago i noticed that my sps were not extending and then beginning yesterday my orange digita is COMPLETELY white all tissue gone, my purple cap is half white, which is new just got it a week ago today. and now my orange monti is 3/4 gone. the only one not being effected is a gonipora, but now its not extending. no change in water params,
amonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 4-5
no phospate

my alkalinity, mag & calcium have been low for a while but i am SLOWLY bringing it up just did a water change about 4 days ago but if something was wrong w/ that change then my other corals would have shown something. i would this STN, but its FAST and deadly. any ideas what could have caused this?

flyyyguy
08/23/2008, 08:45 PM
you are seeing rtn. rapid tissue necrosis.

the paramters you listed arent that important really at this point......welll the ammonia nd nitrite are.....but they are zero you say....so lets move on

you say your alk is low??

how low? and what is your calcium and mag level to be sure??

how are you raising it and how fast?? real timeline and details for all of this might help us figureit out....

hobogato
08/23/2008, 09:46 PM
possibly low salinity?

DaveJ
08/23/2008, 11:03 PM
Please post your alk/ca/mg numbers along with Salinity and Temp.

A couple of suggestions....

Water changes to maintain your parameters is fine, doing it to boost them probably is not the best method. Water changes can be very stressful if they are large enough because the new water is so much different from what you are replacing. You want to match your parameters with a water change, meaning alk, ca, mg, salinity and temp as much as possible.

Use buffers or additives like 2-part or b-ionic etc to slowly raise your parms before you so water changes and then match the new water with the old.

Alk they say 1dkH per day.. I always do .5 at most.
Ca they say 100ppm per day... I haven't noticed any problems with that or even a bit higher.
Mg they say 100ppm per day... I do 50ppm and depending on the volume of your tank, it could take quite a bit of Mg supplement to boost it.

Aerowen
08/24/2008, 07:02 AM
ok as of now ALL tissue is gone and i have pure white skeletons. my params as of yesterday for

dkh; 7.5-8 cant exactly tell
Ca is 350
and Mg is 1200

i've been using buffers for alk i think is called super buffer dkh, not sure on the names of the Ca and Mg buffers. I was thinking that changing my salt from oceanic to red sea salt pro will help with my levels. i began dosing the ph buffer about 2 weeks ago, and the calcium and Mg about a week but have only added the addiditives during the water change. i usually change 15-20% water, its a small tank w/ no skimmer.
- another change lately i added a yellow watchman goby ( have not seen him), a mated pair of purple coral banded and a sexy shrimp but i dont think they will effect the sps.

Gary Majchrzak
08/24/2008, 07:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13216529#post13216529 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Aerowen
ok as of now ALL tissue is gone and i have pure white skeletons. my params as of yesterday for

dkh; 7.5-8 cant exactly tell
Ca is 350
and Mg is 1200

all levels are too low IF your test kits are correct.
what's the temp. of your aquapod... how high/low does it swing?
is it closed on top... what kind of water motion is in it?
(low 02 levels are prime suspect here)

sexy shrimp consume the tissue of their host (usually an anemone or LPS type coral) but I don't think the shrimp is your problem. IMO you must eliminate as many stressors as possible if you're to be successful with SPS in such a small tank.

Aerowen
08/24/2008, 04:33 PM
yes i know my levels have been low, i am trying to get them higher. the sexy shrimp i have never it near any of the sps. my temp does swing a bit, from 78-82 i have an open top 150W MH and for water circulation a vortech set on lagoon mode. i do have some sps/ softie but i was going to put all my corals into a bigger tank altough i was probab;y going to keep that mostly sps, rigth now they are in an island by themselves. ( i run carbon changed every 4 days)

60Cubed
08/25/2008, 01:54 AM
All montis............hum, maybe monyti eating nudis?

CyanoMagnet
08/25/2008, 06:35 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13215466#post13215466 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hobogato
possibly low salinity?

Or high.

CyanoMagnet
08/25/2008, 06:38 AM
Your listed parameters should not account for your corals death in that matter.

I would check salinity asap. Also start running some fresh carbon incase you spilled a chemical in there.

Another cause for concern would be your test results. Either due to your error or a faulty test kit. You have to make sure those params you listed are correct.