PDA

View Full Version : Is my rock hooked on Roaphos?

Onewingdove
08/24/2008, 01:29 PM
I have 40 lbs. of live rock in a Solana that has been setup for five months now.

I keep the nutrients low and always have been since the setup but I've used a small bit of Roaphos in a reactor from the start. Changing it out every two weeks or so. I have taken it off line from time to time and when I do so I see a bit of fine brown algae on the surface of the rock, back on line, snails eat it, algae gone and no return. Is it possible for the rock to leach out all of the phosphate and be done with it? Is it forever in the core of the rock? This rock came from a LFS and I believe it came from other reefers on trade or for credit.

I think there may be a time soon when we will have to aquaculture or own DIY "live rock" as I have seen a lot of threads where phosphate leaching is a common variable. I'm sure others are already doing so.

I'm thinking of doing a 120 over the winter so I should start making my rock soon as I don't really want to fight phosphate from now on.

Randy Holmes-Farley
08/25/2008, 07:15 AM
Algae can grow on rocks even when there is no phosphate being leached from them, so I'm not sure I'd conclude there is a problem with the rock itself.