PDA

View Full Version : Announcement! Welcome Aboard!

Reefanatic67
01/26/2003, 04:34 PM
Welcome reef enthusiast from South Florida. This forum was created by and for individuals in the South Florida area who share an interest in Reef/Saltwater Aquaria to have a place to gather. We wanted a centralized medium for trading coral frags, fish, and even dry goods. We are currently attempting to organize our group, so please bear with us. Once we get this off the ground, we hope to be able to accomplish all of the above. As of now, there are no meetings scheduled, no dues, and no obligations. We are attempting to keep this as simple as possible.

If you are interested in joining, please send Joe Graber (RC handle = JDG) an E-mail so that he can include you in our mailing list. You can also just simply subscribe to this board and will receive an E-mail when a message is added.

Again, welcome aboard!

Thanks and Enjoy!

jdg
01/26/2003, 10:06 PM
Please remember that if you want to get notified by e-mail anytime someone posts on this forum, that you need to 'Subscribe to this forum'. The hyperlink is generally on the top-right hand corner of the screen just below the 'New Thread' button. :)

Joe.

hlwdboy05
02/28/2003, 07:07 PM
I would like to join
Thanx,Justin:bum:

Reefanatic67
02/28/2003, 11:07 PM
Justin, just subscribe to this forum and send JGD a PM to add you to the mailing list.

ENDER'SDAD
05/10/2003, 02:51 PM
I am interested as well thanks.....

Jon

fishman24
12/06/2003, 10:31 PM
me too

Cuervo
12/06/2003, 10:45 PM
I'm a couple hours away in Melbourne... can I still play too??

Joe

RicksReefs
12/07/2003, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Cuervo
I'm a couple hours away in Melbourne... can I still play too??

Joe

we already have a little club going in melbourne too.

www.reefers.org

see ya there. ;)

jcrenshaw
12/20/2003, 09:07 AM
I live in Boca Raton and I am interested in joining. Have you started meeting yet?

canes218
01/16/2004, 01:55 AM
Just wondering if there is any updates on future meetings taking place. I know there is the Florida Marine Aquarium Society but they meet up in Dania, hopefully we can also get something going on here.

Reefanatic67
01/16/2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by canes218
Just wondering if there is any updates on future meetings taking place. I know there is the Florida Marine Aquarium Society but they meet up in Dania, hopefully we can also get something going on here.

We really didn't set this club up to attend meetings and stuff, unless that is what you all want. We just wanted a forum on this board to chat and post our own personal stuff for sale, or to take advantage of group ordering...etc, without the worries that joining a bigger club entailed.

In addition, the member that was in charge of creating our E-mail address group is no longer participating on this forum, so we are going to have to re-do that all over again.

I guess we as a group need to decide, do we want to expand this group by going to meetings and doing frag swaps, ...etc, or do we just want to keep it as is, just for communication. Just to let you know, if we do take this a step further, I do know of a couple of RC sponsors willing to provide us discounts on group sales.

I'm flexible, so you guys tell me! :D

I also need someone to volunteer creating another mail group for this forum.....we can then have it associated with this forum.

Manny.......

sonic
01/19/2004, 03:13 PM
This is a cool idea, I'm in for frag meets and such.

Reefanatic67, when you say you need help creating a mail group does that mean that you just want someone to keep a list with everyones address so the mailings go out to everyone or you want a kind of forum for the group? Either way I can do either or both, I have server space and empty forums to put to use.

I say we have a frag meet soon, I have some leathers, xenias, bunch of zoos and some misc stuff for trade.

Reefanatic67
01/19/2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by sonic
This is a cool idea, I'm in for frag meets and such.

Reefanatic67, when you say you need help creating a mail group does that mean that you just want someone to keep a list with everyones address so the mailings go out to everyone or you want a kind of forum for the group? Either way I can do either or both, I have server space and empty forums to put to use.

I say we have a frag meet soon, I have some leathers, xenias, bunch of zoos and some misc stuff for trade.

What I mean is that we currently have an E-mail group that all our E-mail addresses were added to, and this board forwards E-mails to it as well. The group E-mail is sfrag@yahoogroup.com. Anyway, the person that set it up is no longer on this board, so we can't edit it as needed. We need a newer mail group created so that we can add/remove members as needed.

I'm with you. I've still got 3 Orange Monti, 2 Tan monti, and an Orange Monti Cap frags in my tank. Not to mention pom-poms and blue mushrooms.

Manny.......

sonic
01/19/2004, 09:36 PM
ok. I went ahead and created a new group at yahoo, much like the older one you guys had. I guess I will be managing this new group, I'm a web developer so I'm online pretty much most of the day. Heres the group info.

Group name: SFRA
Group home page: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SFRA
Group email: SFRA@yahoogroups.com

I don't have access to the old group so I can't just copy the email addresses. Everyone thats interested in joining should go ahead and do so or send me you emails and I'll add you. In time I'll even create a small site for us so we can put up pics of our setups and cool stuff like that. let me know what else I can do.

Oliver.

RicksReefs
01/19/2004, 09:56 PM
hey oliver, do you still have my email addy?
if not, LMK & i'll shoot it over.

sonic
01/20/2004, 08:20 AM
reefrick, no I don't have it. please send it to me.

Thanks,
Oliver.

Reefanatic67
01/20/2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by sonic
ok. I went ahead and created a new group at yahoo, much like the older one you guys had. I guess I will be managing this new group, I'm a web developer so I'm online pretty much most of the day. Heres the group info.

Group name: SFRA
Group home page: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SFRA
Group email: SFRA@yahoogroups.com

I don't have access to the old group so I can't just copy the email addresses. Everyone thats interested in joining should go ahead and do so or send me you emails and I'll add you. In time I'll even create a small site for us so we can put up pics of our setups and cool stuff like that. let me know what else I can do.

Oliver.

Thanks Oliver...I'll shoot my e-mail address over to you.

fishman24
01/21/2004, 09:09 PM
pm has been sent to you oliver

Carl_in_Florida
01/29/2004, 05:29 PM
Has anyone started anything in boca yet? Miami is kink of a haul and it seems there are a few of us here interested.

jcrenshaw
02/15/2004, 08:14 PM
No, no one has started anything in Boca. I agree Miami is to far. I'm in favor of getting a group together closer to the Boca area. Anyone else interested in the Boca/Delray area?

rmccue
02/22/2004, 10:01 AM
I live in Boca and would be interested in a local group.

Carl_in_Florida
02/22/2004, 12:50 PM
I am a realatively new reefer and I only know of one other. Does anyone else around here have the ability to organize or facilitate a group? Does anyone care enough to do so? Would anyone actually come to a gathering? And if so, what would be the purpose? I have a job, a couple of kids, and am active in my church so I really could not fit in another social gathering but would be interested in getting together for something more.
Does that make sense?

ant276
03/02/2004, 12:31 PM
I'm in Delray. I would love a group closer. However, I don't have the time or experience to set one up either. I'm currently in the process of growing out my coral's anyway. so... I don't have any to trade and I'm looking for frags myself.

Tony

CoRPS
05/06/2004, 04:41 PM
Hey guys, I'm from Miami too and trying to startup a tank :D I live around the Kendall area, and wondering if anyone has any tanks for sale. Whenever I find someone with a tank in my size and price range, they always seem to dissapear :-/
I need a 75Gallon tank, as well as a stand for the best price you can.
If any of you go to Killian Senior High, which I doubt you do.. but anyway, I'd love to talk :D
See ya, and thanks.

Treeman
05/06/2004, 09:09 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=339226

Try that link. He is selling a 75 gal. If that doesn't work out I will have a 90 gal in a few monthes.

CoRPS
05/07/2004, 03:59 AM
Looks good, but, I don't think I have enough money for that :x
I'm thinking of converting my 10G into either a Nano Reef, or just a FOWLR, 2 clowns.

BAJA272
08/31/2004, 11:46 AM
Are there any clubs in the Ft. Myers/Cape Coral area? Or close to this area?

Jeff

Treeman
08/31/2004, 03:24 PM
Talk to Rocky(Scubadude). I think he is a member of ORCA, but he is in the Arcadia area. He would know.

Mmaggicc2
08/31/2004, 03:54 PM
Jeff:I've been wondering that too. I live in Cape Coral and would love to join a reef club. Mary

BAJA272
09/01/2004, 11:15 AM
Thanks Treeman, Mary, if I find anything I will give you a shout. Hope you did well with Hurricane Charlie, We had some damage in our area (s.w.). I really hope Francis passes us and turns out to sea, but probally not.

Jeff

KING OF THE REEF
11/06/2004, 07:16 PM
i live in jupiter and i want to have meetings. why not have them at the science museum or the fair grounds. i mean its worth a try also SONIC will u pm me for my email thanks

D12monkey
01/11/2005, 01:33 PM
Me want in :D

Can I get in? ;)

Oh please pretty please. :p

flex13
03/10/2005, 10:15 AM
is this place still alive??? if it is count me in...

aiber
03/23/2005, 10:17 AM
I would like to join!

jdg
03/23/2005, 11:08 AM
Still here; you're in. :D

RicksReefs
03/25/2005, 09:31 PM
just thought i'd give you guys a heads up.
there's a good size frag swap forming up for next saturday,
april 2nd at 2pm in st. cloud. check out the happenings here.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=554728

asphaltpilot
06/20/2005, 12:23 PM
Hello everyone. After a 4 year absence from the hobby, I’m starting to get back into it. My buddy/roommate and I have built (well, he did 70% of the work) a stand and canopy from scratch. We just were getting ready for final tank prep when it tank busted. We now have a 150 gal tank coming in and hope to be stocking it with rock in a couple weeks.

I just wanted to say hey to those of you in South Florida. I live in Port Saint Lucie which is about an hour north of West Palm Beach.

Brian32FSU
10/04/2005, 05:27 PM
i'd like to join as well

True Percula
10/22/2005, 11:00 AM
i want to join

Jgoal55
01/29/2008, 01:27 AM
Hey All,

I am a current member of the Atlanta Reef Club. I am moving back to South Florida (miami) and while I know it will be difficult to find, I want to see if there is anything close to what is the Atlanta Reef Club.

The ARC is an amazing club and I would love to have something like that in South Florida where it would seem almost natural given the sheer number of Marine stores in the area. From the looks of it though, the last post here is approaching 3 years old and I am curious to see if maybe there is just a new forum or if it died out.

If the latter is true, I would be glad to take the lead to get this going again. The way I see it, if land-locked Atlanta, GA can have such an amazing reef club with such great, knowledgeable people, then it shouldn't be too difficult to to start something similar in a place where the ocean is never more than a few miles a way.

Hope to hear from some of you and I look forward to meeting you all when I move down.

Thanks,
Jorge

RicksReefs
01/29/2008, 06:33 AM
for the miami/ ft. lauderdale area, you have the Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS).

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=235

Jgoal55
01/29/2008, 12:15 PM
Thanks for posting that rick....

I actually did come across their site but the biggest issue is that their meeting are difficult to get to. Also, and this is just me being spoiled, I was hoping for more of a forum/proprietary website environment much like ARC......

I could be completely wrong but I would think that there is a market in Miami for such a club given the sheer number of LFS's down there.

Oh well, we'll see......something is better than nothing that's for sure.

Thanks again,
Jorge

RicksReefs
01/29/2008, 06:03 PM
they like the RC forum for the draw and ease of it I believe, but it's still a pretty good club that has a yearly show with decent speakers. they just had julian sprung at last months meeting.
and ya, the tuesday night meeting thing is what keeps me from making the drive down too.
start another club and meet on saturday/sunday and you might see me there.. :D

Jgoal55
01/30/2008, 12:16 AM
Let me tell you, I've been thinking about it.....the reason I am moving down to Miami though is to start a business and i just don't know that I'll have the time to undertake that endeavor but I don't think I'm allowed to complain if I don't want to do anything about it so who knows?

Wanna help? Man, I wouldn't even know where to start. I could talk to the ARC guys before I leave for some guidance......hmmmm????

I really shouldn't but man I want to.

privitor
03/25/2008, 05:42 PM
where are you guy located this place is sooo big
im in stuart fl
(martin county)

RicksReefs
03/25/2008, 07:20 PM
stuart ;)

privitor
03/25/2008, 08:28 PM
lol if i had the space i would say lets do it :)

blueoceandiver
11/07/2008, 07:38 AM
miami would be fun,but is there any clubs here in the keys?a little closer.

RicksReefs
11/17/2008, 08:53 AM
just a heads up for the treasure coast people (and those that like to drive :D ) that there's a new club in town. We usually meet mid-month on sundays at 2PM.

TC-FRAG Treasure Coast-Florida Reef Aquarium Group (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=571)

see you at the next meeting.. ;)

bobby65
04/19/2010, 03:24 PM
are you still meeting

SaltSolutions1
02/07/2011, 09:48 PM
TC-Frag is back in action. Treasure Coast-Florida Reef Aquarium Group

We are trying to plan a frag swap at Aquatic Life in Stuart. Check out our thread in the club forums for more details.

Fishman7
10/04/2013, 10:57 PM
Interested too. Pompano beach

hqaquarium
11/05/2013, 09:55 AM
Downtown Fort Lauderdale here!
:wavehand:

G_Sanab922
05/14/2014, 01:47 PM
Still active?

FMAS is way too far for me.