PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate and phosphate export...Rock or Macro?

redspot321
08/24/2008, 07:00 PM
"denitrification only takes place in environments where oxygen consumption exceeds the rate of oxygen supply"

I just installed a 15 gallon fuge to my 125 Fish Only system. Im wondering what would be the best media to put in it to reduce nitrates and phosphates.

1. All macro? Cheato or Caulerpa?
2. pure Live rock
3. A mixture of LR and Macro
4 a remote DSB?

Also, Should I have a glass cover on the fuge to reduce the amount of oxygen available to the Macro.

Drew225
08/24/2008, 07:08 PM
In my 12 gallon nano, i run both Live rock rubble and Chaeto. Works very well for me.

seapug
08/24/2008, 07:29 PM
Both. The rock will take care of the nitrate, the Macro will take care of the phosphate.

boxfishpooalot
08/25/2008, 04:05 AM
In all my experience nothing has been as effective as vodka. I had a 25gallon fuge with caulerpa racemosa lit under a 400 watt metal halide and the tank still had 80ppm nitrate.

With vodka(on a different tank) the phosphate and nitrate are undetectable.

Im not deterring you from a refuge, but imo there are much easier methods.

wayne in norway
08/25/2008, 04:44 AM
But vodka isn't magic, it's just a carbon source - you still need a medium for the bacteria to reside. So I say sand with macro on top , and keep the flow high. If that isn't doing enouhg, then try vodka.

redspot321
08/25/2008, 05:27 AM
Can anyone point me to a good thread regarding vodka?

It this a possible disastere in the long run? what kind of dosage?

Thanks.

eyesinthedrk
08/25/2008, 11:19 AM
just read something the other day that satted that red mangroves set up in the fuge or display could negate the need for water changes for nitrate and phosphate export, only needed to replace trace elements, if you have corals

http://reefcleaners.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=38

they also have some pretty darn good prices on snails and hermits

seapug
08/25/2008, 01:09 PM
Mangroves are fun, but basically worthless until they get large (many feet tall) and have and extensive root system that can efficiently take up nutrients. I'd suggest trying the live rock/sand/macro refugium and Phosban Reactor before resorting to vodka dosing or farming mangroves.