PDA

View Full Version : Reef Crystals

cham
08/24/2008, 07:44 PM
Wow

I'm sorry to see the Dr Foster & Smith forum have so many complaints about service & shipping. I've used you guys for years and I am very happy with everything I've ever bought from DRF&S & Liveaquaria.

My issue is not actually with you guys but your vendor. I've seen a number of threads about Reef Crystals having bad batches and over the years I've never had a problem. Recently I set up a new tank and I have been fighting magnesium levels with it from day one.

I buy my MG suppliments from bulk reef supply and I have gone through my entire supply of magnesium chloride in 3 months (I had at least a years supply) keeping my MG levels up. I've been stumped!!! I emailed the guys at Bulk Reef Supply for help and finally I started this thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=13220150#post13220150 and the chemistry guys gave the the simple solution that I hadn't even thought of.

Its crazy for them to sell a "reef" product so deficient in one of three essential components to a reef.

Is there any way to get in contact with anyone there? Can we file complaints or ask for replacement buckets (or even better, replace my lost MG chloride)? I spent the extra $$$ for the salt that doesn't require the extra suppliments and I find myself having to pay for more MG chloride on my dime.

Any help would be great. I buy all my RC salt and other dry goods from DRF&S and I have always seen great service from you guys. Thanks for any help you can give!

dfs/la2
08/24/2008, 08:42 PM
Cham,

Thank you for your post. We apologize that you received Reef Crystals with low Magnesium levels. We would be more than happy to replace the Reef Crystals you have ordered from us or send you a Magnesium supplements. Please PM us your order information so we may resolve this for you right away.

Gwen S.
LiveAquaria (http://www.liveaquaria.com)
Drs. Foster and Smith (http://www.drsfostersmith.com)

Sniper308
09/21/2008, 05:55 AM
I have also been having problems with low mg in my reef crystals mix. I buy it exclusively from DFS as they seem to have the best price on it even after shipping.

The low Mg problem for me has caused low PH problems that I had been unable to resolve until reading this thread. I am now adding additional Mg to the system to resolve this but as the above poster mentioned, I feel that I should not have to do this as I have been paying for the added trace elements (or so I thought) in the salt mix I buy.

Im very dissapointed in Instant Ocean. Maybe this is a company DFS should shy away from.

I would also be interested in having my salt replaced.

dfs/la2
09/21/2008, 01:08 PM
Sniper308,

Thank you for your post. We are sorry to hear that you are testing lower levels of Magnesium. Please PM us your order information and test results so we may forward your concern to our Aquatics Director for review.

Gwen S.
LiveAquaria (http://www.liveaquaria.com)

tbittner
09/29/2008, 04:58 PM
I just received 10 buckets of reef crystals and I'm measuring 1090 for magnesium. Unacceptable! Ten 160g buckets......

dfs/la2
09/29/2008, 06:23 PM
Tbittner,

Thank you for your post. We apologize to hear about the test results of your salt. We ask you to PM us your order information.

Pat S.
Technical Support Department

Sniper308
09/29/2008, 07:03 PM
I'm curious to know exactly what happens in a situation like this. Dr. Foster&Smith has been great as a supplier. I have had no issues with their company/products that was not immediatley taken care of. The salt issue I spoke of above has already been rectified by DFS. Thanks you are a great store and I buy almost exclusively from you for that.

(off topic but.....I just ordered a $700 Outer orbit pro and I cant wait for it to come in :) )

anyway back to my post.....does DFS contact Instant Ocean/Reef Crystals to hopefully fix this problem. Can we expect to see a change in their product? Is this just a manufacturing fluke or is it how things are going to be from now on? Should I find another salt mix?

Any info DFS or any employee of IO/RC could share would be greatly appreciated. I have used reef crystals exclusively for years and can say that I am very dissapointed in the lower quality of today product.

dfs/la2
09/29/2008, 07:50 PM
Cham,

Thank you for your post. We sincerely apologize for any problems that you are having with the Reef Crystals Salt. We would like to let you know that we are working very closely with Instant Ocean to ensure a high quality product, as well as testing every new supply that is shipped to our facility.

Instant Ocean Reef Crystals Salt is also used at our Aquaculture Facility in all our salt water systems. We can assure you that we have not had any recent problems with this salt and are monitoring it closely.

There may be many different factors as to why the salt is testing incorrectly, such as inaccurate test kits, incorrect mixing of the salt, or moisture getting in to the salt bucket.

There are also numerous variables that can affect the actual process of testing besides the test kits. These variables may include temperature, salinity and age of sample, quality of source water, incorrect calibration, calculation errors, and incorrect techniques. Because of these variables at least a 10 percent variance is common.

Michelle L.
Live Aquaria (liveaquaria.com)
Drs. Foster and Smith (drsfostersmith.com)

JRechcygl
10/01/2008, 02:40 PM
I agree w/ this arguement and disagree. Its not DFS's fault that IO is making crummy salt, and this is not a new issue. Its been going on for SOME TIME!! BUT DFS SHOULD put pressure on IO and tell them to make there product better. Lets face it, DFS is probably one of, it not the biggest seller of IO and RC. They have the weight to get IO's stuff together. I'll be honest, I work in a pet store and I constantly give the reps a hard time esp. ..... I (won't mention names) but he tells me if you buy a pallet you get the same pricing all the big guys get. Well BS, DFS. I could buy buckets of RC CHEAPER from you than if I bought a pallet at 40% from my distributor. Thats why YOU need to help fix this salt issue.

Just my two cents