PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ Octopus EXT-PS-150

dedfish
08/25/2008, 02:09 PM
I picked up a Octopus EXT-PS-150 (http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/benandkatie1026/EXT-PS-150.jpg) from premium aquatics last February. At the time I bought it there was not a lot of people using this skimmer and shortly after I bought it it was redesigned. The skimmer never seemed to skim well so I started modding it. I did most of the major mods, the mesh mod and the mod to increase the venturi.

The problem I think I am having with this skimmer is that the water is a bit turbulent. If you watch the water line through the side of the skimmer every so often, a few secs apart, there seems to be a disruption to the surface of the water. I think that this makes it hard for any column of bubbles to form.

Does anyone have any ideas on solving this problem or how to go about fixing it? I'm considering maybe replacing the pump with something a little less powerfull.

stanlalee
08/25/2008, 04:28 PM
I have the PS120 internal but it has the oct 1000 pump which is farely weak to begin with. meshing it and doing the venturi should make the pump push less water as is. I get the turbulent back flow movement you speak of but mine is unmodded and it skims fairly well. from what I understand you cant really put a smaller pump on it because you still need good water flow to push it thru the bubble plate. I dont know what would reduce turbulence because the mix leaves the bubble plate with little turbulence. all the turbulence is at the top.

dedfish
08/25/2008, 08:46 PM
Bump....any of you real skimmer nuts want to take a stab at this? I could use the help. I'd like to try and turn this $300 piece of plastic into something that at least half works.