PDA

View Full Version : 12g AQUAPOD temp spike!! HeLp!

FiShTaCo
08/25/2008, 03:49 PM
I have just recently noticed a jump in temp.....up to 84 f!!!!!! OMG! Usually it topped around 82.3 and now??? I am running the stock lighting on a 12 g AquaPod. My first course of action will be a new pump, the lil' Rio I have in it is a few years old and could be the culprit. If this isn't the case, I was thinking of a second fan?? Anyone have any suggestions besides a pricey chiller or a bag of ice lol

Thanks in advance to anyone with the time. :D

cutegecko3
08/25/2008, 04:04 PM
Just leave it alone and save your money.Some tropical reefs reach 86 degrees.If it does'nt go over that then i would'nt worry.

Corals that go through temp swings are more likely to survive than those that dont.

FiShTaCo
08/25/2008, 04:07 PM
I thought 83 would be high.....?? Good to know, just really don't want to hurt any corals in the future. Thanks Jason!

Bogart80
08/25/2008, 05:54 PM
cutegecko3 is correct in saying that some reefs can reach that high of a temp.

HOWEVER!

If you dont correct the problem before you start to see a problem it may be to late.

If your pump is that old, you should think about an upgrade. Lets face pumps dont last forever.

bad santa
08/25/2008, 06:07 PM
84 isnt that bad but if your temp swings from one extreme to the other that is worse. Try lifting your hood abit to let soem air in. If that doesnt help you could try upgrading your fans.

kernyboy
08/25/2008, 08:43 PM
its not the temp..its the SUDDEN rise or fall in temp. Open the hood. Get an extra fan on that bad boy. If you can, run your AC. Make sure your ambient temperatue (room temp) is around 70. Remember, it takes 1 hr to raise or drop the temp in the tank one degree.

FiShTaCo
08/25/2008, 08:51 PM
Ok, so it drops to 83.7 after actinic and flourescents are turned off and I open the hood a bit. Plan on getting new pump & new fan, possibly add another. Thank you all for the comments, I love RC!! BTW this is a new 'tank' and I recently lost everything due to a defunked NanoCube hood. Now this AquaPod seems to be a hotter running unit and I had my concerns before beginning to restock.

P.S. Looking for low light frags of anything local. LMK

IslandCrow
08/25/2008, 09:53 PM
What's your room temperature? I have the same tank with a Maxijet 900, and the water is usually at or even slightly below room temperature. The biggest thing I did was adding a fan where the feeding opening is on the hood. It also helps with gas exchange by providing better air circulation. Here's what I did if you want to try something similar (or exactly the same). What I'm talking about is at the end of the thread: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1427297&perpage=25&pagenumber=2

FiShTaCo
08/25/2008, 10:18 PM
Room temp is usually between 75-77. We run the A/C in our apt. The tank wasn't always THIS hot. I'm getting a new pump tomorrow and see if that does anything. Then I will mod in a new fan and place it in the other vent spot in back of hood. Keep ya updated.

kernyboy
08/26/2008, 05:23 AM
drop room temp to 70 if possible. it is august and in most places that means hell heat. if you can raise the lights off your water surface that helps. of get a fan that blows on the surface of the water. you'll have to top off more often though

burtbollinger
08/26/2008, 09:08 AM
keep ac at a constant 75, 70 is too extreme IMO....the best thing you can do is go on ebaY right now and look up something like the jebo 2-fan aquarium cooler....its 20 bucks...its all you need to do....strap it on, and your temps will be about a constant 81.

IslandCrow
08/26/2008, 10:01 AM
I agree that you shouldn't have to drop the temperature to 70. About the coolest it ever gets in my office is 75 degrees. Currently, my ambient room temperature is 77, and my tank is sitting right at 76 degrees. All the lights have been on for just about 3 hours (plus an hour for the actinics). Jo, I'm thinking you're on the right track with the pump. I'm guessing you've tried just cleaning it?

solitude127
08/26/2008, 01:00 PM
How accurate is your themometer? Sometimes that can be way off too.

IslandCrow
08/26/2008, 01:18 PM
How accurate is your themometer?

Who are you asking? I know mine is pretty accurate. It agrees with at least two other sources, and the water feels about 75 degrees, and at this point, I can tell by touch +/- about 1 degree. . .2 at the worst.

solitude127
08/26/2008, 02:24 PM
Sorry, I was asking FishTaco. I know I've had some thermometers that have been 3 -4 degrees off. I would try to compare with a couple of thermomters first so that you can get a more accurate temp reading.

Ricunger
08/27/2008, 07:54 PM
Check my thread for cooling a 12g nano it might help you out.... click the red house.