PDA

View Full Version : JBJ 24 questions.....

james3370
08/25/2008, 05:16 PM
i currently have a biocube 8 that i pretty much stole from a LFS going-out-of-business sale. it has about 10-15lbs of live rock, a rather large piece of brain coral, a avg size piece of pusating xenia, a small piece of torch coral, i small piece of bubble coral, & a piece of live rock w/ 30 or so zoanthinds. there are also 1 pair of clowns

i've been wanting to do a larger tank so i can mostly do more fish. i 've been pricing out everything to do a 90gal perfecto corner-flo, but have decided to go bigger than that :smokin: probably 72x24x24 which is about 180gal....but $$$$ is the biggest issue but 2nd is the fact that i'm possibly gonna be moving w/in the next year & don't want to go thru all the work, only to have to tear it down & move it

i had always been thinking about either a jbj24 or red sea max. i don't care to get into halide since it would more than likely necessitate the need for a chiller as well

so my LFS has a sale on the jbj24 right now.....$269 w/ free stand. either the s stand or the cabinet one. i like the cabinet one for the storage area.

i have checked online for quite awhile & while i would have to pay tax here, i can't find anywhere that has the cabinet stand & tank for cheaper by the time i pay shipping. found quite a few places offering the tank & s stand w/ free shipping, but none w/ the cabinet stand. :mad2:

i'm REALLY wanting to do TBS "the package" in it as well :bum: which is $319 for a 25gal or $432 for a 35gal if i went w/ a red sea max....which i have found online for $750 w/ free shipping

so i'm looking for opinions on whether the exra 10 gallons is worth the almost $500 difference in the 2 tanks. keep in mind, i am talking out of the box systems & not "well if you get this & this & this for x tank...."

james3370
08/25/2008, 06:20 PM
also, realistically how many fish (clownfish-sized) could be supported in tank?

Rakie
08/25/2008, 06:55 PM
Well the sad truth is, those all in one kits are pretty much lame. The people who have the best looking tanks rip all that junk out of it, the stock lighting hood, especially if you wanna upgrade lighting eventually, then it might be too hot.

Basically, a lot of people who use these tanks, ONLY use the tanks themselves, everything is is upgraded / replaced / taken out.

For $500 you can buy a hell of a nicer setup.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13226901#post13226901 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by james3370
also, realistically how many fish (clownfish-sized) could be supported in tank?

That depends on how diligent you are with your water changes. But really I think 2 clowns in an 8 gallon is pushing it, I personally wouldn't add more then one fish, MAYBE 2...

Get some nice used lighting (T5ho / MH) $150 (suspend it, no chiller needed)
Fan $20 (More of a comfort thing)
Get a 40g breeder $50
Make a cheap as dirt stand $40
Get a decent skimmer, IMHO Remora aren't that bad, and used they're like $60
Koralia #2's $25 used

Bigger, cheaper, better.

Illuminati
08/25/2008, 08:04 PM
As a former NC24g owner I say go with the Red Sea Max.

Larger tank =
More fish choices
More Aquascaping choices
More room for corals :)