PDA

View Full Version : Pairing black saddlebacks?

unbreakable
08/25/2008, 06:08 PM
How difficult is this? If I have one that is almost 3" and if i add a 1.5" black saddleback, will i know immediately if it does not work out? Will the larger one destroy the smaller one the same day? What should I look for to make sure the little one isnt killed?

elegance coral
08/25/2008, 06:26 PM
I don't think you will have a problem. Float the bag with the new guy and see how she reacts. If she doesn't rip the bag apart, I think all will be fine. You could keep the little guy in a breeder, but I don't think it will be necessary. Just be ready to separate them if you have to.

unbreakable
08/26/2008, 05:13 PM
i added a smaller one and so far so good. the larger one doesnt pay too much attention to it, but when it does see it itll chase it away, but thats the most agressive it gets. the smaller one tries to stick close by the large one

elegance coral
08/26/2008, 05:28 PM
I didn't think you would have much of a problem. They'll be head over heals in love in no time.
I have 3 huge Saddle Backs that live together. They chase each other a little bit right after feeding time but that's it. They even sleep together.

cherubfish pair
08/26/2008, 06:58 PM
If the fighting gets bad, put an acrylic or glass divider between the two.

unbreakable
08/31/2008, 10:04 AM
Well, I don't think mine are buddies yet, but they do tend to swim together. The larger one is tolerating the smaller one. The small one likes to stick with the larger one at night and during the day. Larger one seems to chase the small one away at times but nothing serious. Both adjusted to eating frozen and flake food well; small one wouldn't recognize what flakes were until it saw the larger one eating it

all i need to do is look for some anemones for the them! still wondering if i should do an all BTA tank or just one h. crispa anemone

btw, both small and large saddlebacks have yellow pectoral fins, will they stay with that color or will it fade as they get older?

elegance coral
08/31/2008, 11:02 AM
I personally would not go with a BTA.
1) It's not their natural host.
2) Many of them split before they reach large sizes.
3) Saddle Backs grow quite large for a clown fish.
4) Saddle Backs can be quite rough on an anemone.
Especially a smaller one.

I would stick with their natural host. A large Crispa or Haddoni.

ransomed4ever
08/31/2008, 11:20 AM
Ihave 2 black saddlebacks paired with a LTA, which I believe is another natural host. I had the clowns first and they hosting in the LTA within an hour of adding it.

elegance coral
08/31/2008, 11:37 AM
To the best of my knowledge, they only have two natural host species. Crispa and Haddoni. I'm always learning, so can you post a link showing that LTA's are a natural host to Saddlebacks?

ransomed4ever
08/31/2008, 11:49 AM
I saw it in this article under "Macrodactyla doreensis"http://www.aquaworldaquarium.com/clownfish_and_their_host_anemone.htm