08/25/2008, 09:54 PM
Where is glasscages located?

maynardjames
08/25/2008, 10:00 PM
dixon, tn
just outside of nashville

RockStarFish
08/25/2008, 10:17 PM
Cool thanks. The reason I ask is I work for a freight line and get a killer discount and I need to get a quote before I decide what tank I want. The bigger the discount the bigger the tank :P

tsalter
08/26/2008, 04:22 PM
I have a glass cages tank. it is good.

jmick
08/26/2008, 05:25 PM
I recently bought a 40 cube, rimless with starphire glass and I'm happy with it...some of cauking is sloppy but I can hide it with rock and corals.

Whyireef
08/27/2008, 10:16 AM
I'm very happy with my new 70g rimless starfire w/overflow....it's still curing, so all I can do is look at it and stare in wonder of what it will look like when set-up.....looks like GC did a fabulous job - the glass is 1/2" thick! and heavy.

oach
08/27/2008, 10:19 AM
RockStarFish how big of a tank you thinking of getting form them? I have heard things about their tanks, but they are cheaper than a lot of places so I want to see if other people are getting big tanks from them.

pdelcast
08/27/2008, 11:28 AM
I really like my GC 300 gallon starfire tank. However, I do know others (local to me) who have had problems with GC.

The build quality is quite good on my tank, and the silicone (black seams) is also very well done.

Titus77
08/27/2008, 11:46 AM
Why don't you people just build your own tanks? LIKE ME!!! (http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/2005-04-30/aquarium.jpg)

oach
08/27/2008, 12:04 PM
pdelcast - I used to have a 150g (5 x 2 x 2) glasscage and never had a problem, but got out of the hobby 2 years ago and sold it and since I am getting back in, I hear a lot of bashing. What problems have those others experienced? Is it caused by not having the stand and tank level?

pdelcast
08/27/2008, 01:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13239200#post13239200 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by oach
pdelcast - I used to have a 150g (5 x 2 x 2) glasscage and never had a problem, but got out of the hobby 2 years ago and sold it and since I am getting back in, I hear a lot of bashing. What problems have those others experienced? Is it caused by not having the stand and tank level?

Well, I know of a single, complete, total failures of the front glass (with no cracking or any other warning before hand -- and this was a 3/4" thick commercial quality GC tank), and two people who have had tanks crack on edges when first filled. These were all from people in my local club. I don't fault GC for the total failure - - I would imagine there was a flaw in the front glass that was too small to see that caused the failure. But the edge cracks both looked like there was a small crack that started during construction and then it spread when the tank was filled. I know that one was replaced at no cost by GC, but the other was not (and I understand there was some pretty heated back and forth with GC about that one -- but all I know is that the customer was very unhappy.)

Personally, the only issue I had with GC was that they were kind of rude on the phone and in emails -- and this to a customer spending about $2000.00 with them (but-- as I understand it they have more business than they can deal with anyway, so I guess they feel they don't have to be kind to their customers...) I have no issues with the build quality of my tank at all. In fact, I'm thinking about buying a smallish rimless (36x18x8) for a frag tank to add to my big system -- and I'll get it from GC.

oach
08/27/2008, 02:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13239830#post13239830 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pdelcast
...I know that one was replaced at no cost by GC, but the other was not (and I understand there was some pretty heated back and forth with GC about that one -- but all I know is that the customer was very unhappy.)

...to a customer spending about $2000.00 with them
That is what has me scared a little - spend $2k and fear that it will screw up and they won't back there product. The lingering question: spend the extra money and get a tank from aquarium obsessed or miracles in glass?

sditch
08/27/2008, 11:19 PM
I like my two GC rimless tanks.....

skyrne_isk
08/28/2008, 08:09 AM
i had the same experience with an "abrupt" response when ordering my tank from GC as well.

buzzard one
09/05/2008, 10:43 PM
When i spoke to them I was connected to some man that could anwser technical questions and he was very rude. I asked if they ground and polished the edges of the glass and he said no. I asked if he could do this for me and he said no.

dmopar74
09/05/2008, 11:26 PM
ive heard too many horror stories about glasscages, including a 850g tank that blew a seam. no matter what the cost of replacing a tank, the water damage alone to a house on even 150g is thousands upon thousands of dollars. save yourself some money and build it yourself.

tpenn187
09/06/2008, 06:54 AM
some people my not have a problem taking on a huge aquarium build project, but i myself would rather leave that to the pros. for every tank that GC has had fail i am sure they have thousands that have not. every major tank manufacture have had tanks fail, some are just better about replacements and customer service. for my next tank i was seriously thinking glass cages, but since marineland came out with the deep dimension aquariums i might have to go that route.

mfinn
09/06/2008, 08:18 AM
I bought a Glasscages 240 gallon tank 2 years ago and have been very happy with it.
Before I bought the tank, I did alot of research on tanks and found out (with a little digging) that all tank makes have failures.
But for some reason Glasscages seems to be a big target.
Another thing I've read hear and other forums is people like to repeat horror stories about GC as if it happened to themselves or someone next door.
When I made the first call to GC, I had a specific list of questions and knew exactly what I wanted to say.
Oh,, I asked the guy (Tom) if he had time to talk to me and answer the questions I had. He said he really didn't at that time and asked me to call back later that afternoon at a specific time. I did and he was able to give me the time to ask everything I wanted to know about the tanks, delivery, warrenty, etc.
I didn't try and make him conform to my schedule. So I never got the rude behaviour that many get.
When my tank came, and it was a day late, ( the truck drivers fault, not GC, which did screwup my work schedule, but I lived), I inspected the tank with a magnifing glass and a flashlight.
Saw no flaws so I took it home. I would have left it on the truck if I had seen anything at all wrong.
I did have to clean sharpie marks off the glass and the silicone work around the bottom of the tank was pretty sloppy. But on the seams that are visable, they were straight and clean.
I really like the extra bottom bracing they add.
So, I'm happy with the tank I got, I really like the price and the shipping was cheap too.
But if your a person that demands perfection in every detail and don't mind paying for it, there are others that will do exactly what you need.
If I ever need another custom tank, I will be calling Glasscages again.