PDA

View Full Version : Branching Anemone hiding

kenny77
08/27/2008, 05:59 PM
I got a Branching Anemone ( Lebrunia danae ) 3 weeks ago. So far she is doing great. I feed her twice a week. For the first couple of days she visible right in the front. afetr a couple of day she start moving looking for a shade. Now she is a cave receiving undirect light.

does anyone if this is normal with this anemones?

wicked_NaCl_h2o
08/27/2008, 08:03 PM
Is this a branching anemone?..if so I've never heard of them before..cool.
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/3559/220030315113901aa11wh1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

kenny77
08/27/2008, 11:39 PM
Yes thats a branching anemone. they are one of the coolest anemone. Mine is fluorescent green. What make them so cool is that this "tentacles that you see, are not true tentacle. The true tentacles are hiding under this "fake" tetancles that makes her look like a coral. At night, one hour before light go off, she extend her true tetacles wich are white with green tip.

BTW this anemone and the sun carpet anemone a stinging ability that equal a fire coral sting, and in some cases it is worst.

wicked_NaCl_h2o
08/28/2008, 06:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13243533#post13243533 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kenny77
BTW this anemone and the sun carpet anemone a stinging ability that equal a fire coral sting, and in some cases it is worst.
ouchy that its sting can be the same as a fire coral sting. I heard that the sting of a fire coral can last for months. I don't touch anything while scuba diving, so I haven't had the wonderfully painful sting from a fire coral yet. Can you show us pictures of your anemone?

kenny77
08/28/2008, 12:18 PM
I will try to get a picture soon. If i don't get it I beleive I have a picture some were in the computer.

The sting of a fire coral can last days. I have scratch my entire chest with a fire coral and believe me it hurts a lot, specialy when you get out of the water. I also had a fire coral on the tank and every time I put my hand in the water neard it, it sting me. Even If my had was 2-3 inches away from it.

kenny77
08/28/2008, 12:32 PM
Here a picture of the anemone the day I got her. Now it had gain some color and it is greener.

Has you can see, for some one that doesn't know this is an anemone, they will think it is a coral. This is the way they protect them self against predators.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/KennyReef/Kennys%20Reef%20Tank/DSCF0031.jpg

kenny77
08/30/2008, 04:11 PM
Sadly she is dead now. All because of me. I couldn't resist having her on the back of the tank so I move her. The rock was near the power head. Since she got stressed from the move, she release her self and end up in the power her. all her tentacle were lost. Except the false tentacle ( a small frag) that some how has attached to a little rock. I don't know the ability of this anemone to regenerate but 24 hour later the tentacle are looking pretty good.

I have been testing for ammonia a nitrate and so far ammonia is at 0ppm and nitrate is at 5ppm.

I hope I could do something for what is left, and if not I will try to get another one for sure. The are hard to find here in PR.