PDA

View Full Version : Air bubbles in pouch

Oakie
08/27/2008, 06:03 PM
couldn't get the search feature to work as I'm sure this has been answered many times.

Have an Erectus.....every 4 or 5 days his pouch is so full of air that I need to intervene and let the air out manually. I have 4 horses in a 40g cube. I can't see any micro bubbles and none of the other 3 are impacted - the other 3 are Reidi.

JennyL
08/28/2008, 12:48 PM
Hi oakie,
Reoccuring PE(Pouch Emphysema) really needs to be treated with meds.

I would recommend setting up a hospital tank and treating with a 4-5 day treatment with Diamox. This is a prescription med so you will need to either source it from a local Vet or order it online.

If you cannot obtain it from a local Vet you can order it from the following link.
http://:www.inhousedrugstore.com/neurological/diamox.html

You can use a 10G for the hospital tank. Use new salt water that has been well aerated and the temp,sg and PH matched to the tank he is in now. Be sure you add a comfortable hitch for him and 1 or 2 fully open airlines.

The first day, take 1 250mg tablet and crush it very well and mix it in a small amount of salt water and add it to the hospital tank.
After 24 hours do a large water change and remedicate the tank with the same dosage.
Repeat this procedure for 4 -5 days and then stop the Diamox.
This med breaks down after 24 hours so there is no need to worry about over medicating.

You need to monitor him closely and be sure he is eating. This med will affect his appetite so you may need to have some live on hand to offer him during treatment.

This treatment has been very affective for PE.

Good luck and let us know how it's going.

HTH

Oakie
11/10/2008, 05:38 PM
Hey JennyL..............it WORKED!!!

It's been about 8 weeks since I finished the treatment and there's been no sign since....he can swim around all he wants, and vertical!

Thanks a bunch.....and for the chuckle I got from the look on the pharmacist's face when I told him what it was for.... :)

thank you, thank you, thank you

JennyL
11/10/2008, 05:49 PM
Hi oakie,
That's wonderful news! Well done. Thanks so much for posting an update for us.