PDA

View Full Version : Not ''IF'' but ''When"? overflow question

LUVSPS
08/27/2008, 08:35 PM
How many of you guys don't drill your tanks? Are over the tank overflows really that untrustworthy?

I ask this because I am in the process of setting up my 120sps tank and I really want to think of everything before I set the tank up. I HAD planned to just go the easy way and buy a regular overflow for it but yesterday I checked on my 29g tank and the siphon had slowed from the overflow box down into the refuge, and so the return pump was then outdoing the overflow and the DT water level was slowly rising. I freaked and readjusted the siphon.
If I hadn't been there:eek1:
My 120 will be going in my NEW house and it will be surrounded by carpet. This is not an inwall.
Should I just shut up and drill my tank(which I want to do but will be difficult because I am not handy, don't know how to do that. Is it simple? My tank is a Perfecto. Can the backs of those be drilled?

Sorry for the long post but if you guys can point me in the right direction that'd be great!

sjm817
08/27/2008, 08:45 PM
A siphon overflow can be perfectly reliable if it is a good overflow and set up properly. Many people have run them for years on end without issue.

If you are setting up a new tank however, there is no reason not to drill it or get a RR tank to begin with. Yes, the back can be drilled and it is a lot easier than you would think.

sps1-2-b
08/27/2008, 09:25 PM
Just reiterating sjm817's point. Since you're doing it over, I would drill or get a drilled tank. Just one less thing to worry about. Yeah, you may be lucky and never have issues with the siphon, but there is that 1%. Just my .02

ctreptow
08/27/2008, 09:31 PM
I used a siphon overflow for years on my 75 gallon tank. Never had a problem but they did need more care then a in tank overflow. I have since rebuilt the tank and drilled the side for overflow and so glad I did. Drilling was a piece of cake. Diamond hole saw in a cordless drill using water to cool the bit. It took about 2 minutes per hole. I cut 5 in my tank for overflow and closed loop.

sjm817
08/27/2008, 09:38 PM
http://www.reefercentral.com/drilling_video.html

Dyraxe
08/27/2008, 09:46 PM
I would drill the tank just to be safe.

mazilla
08/27/2008, 10:00 PM
Even if you drill it, there are no guarantees you will not get an overflow for one reason or another. check valves fail, drain tubes clog, etc etc.

joeycadre
08/27/2008, 10:09 PM
have 2 drilled overflows and you cut the accident probability way down.

i would never use an overflow box after having a drilled tank.

seapug
08/27/2008, 10:13 PM
I've been using a simple Amiracle u-tube overflow on my 90 gal. for two years now and never once had an issue with the siphon, despite numerous power outages and weekly water changes that involve shutting off the return. I've cleaned the u-tube twice in the time I've had it (just to be safe) and it was quite easy to restart.

LUVSPS
08/27/2008, 10:22 PM
Thank you so much guys. I am going to drill my tank. Wow, it looks much easier than I thought. That website is awesome! I am going to order one of their overflows. I love the small footprint!!!

I'm thinking about the 1,500gph complete kit. It has 1.5in bulkheads. Do you think that is sufficient for my 120?

Anyway, thank you so much for the link, Scott. And everybody else for their input!

stagefright13
08/27/2008, 10:26 PM
I have an Amiracle over the back overflow on my 29 and has been fine for years without a flood. As long as the flow going thru the pipe is quick it will keep bubbles from trapping air in there and building up.

But last week I drilled a new glass sump for a kent float valve. It was a piece of cake. When I move my stuff to my 55 It's getting drilled!

If you are unsure about yourself just go to Walmart and spend 10 to 12 dollars on a bare ten gallon tank. You can practice on that. Drill the back for bulkheads or something. You might even be able to use it for something when your done. I got a 10 Gallon Perfecto fo only 12 bucks a couple weeks ago to make my new little sump with. And drilling it was simple. Wish I knew when I first set my 29 up...

pledosophy
08/28/2008, 01:35 AM
I had a U tube style over flow on three different occasions. I had a drilled tank get clogged once to after running for 5 years. Now I have two drilled drains and I run a pump up the opposite direction of the line to clear it every few months or so.

Bruno3047
08/28/2008, 02:10 AM
There is an easy way to make a HOB over flow just about flood-proof. All you have to do is install a float swith in your sump that will shut off your return pump when the water in the sump gets too low. This will also protect your return pump from frying if your siphon breaks when you're not around.

That's it. Problem solved.

Mr. Brooks
08/28/2008, 04:17 AM
If there's a chance something can fail then it probably will. Might as well plan for everything when you're in the design stage. Drill your tank, then drill a second as a backup. Syphon style overflows can and do fail, I speak from experience. A float switch is a good idea as a back up but I wouldn't depend on it. They have have a habit of getting stuck and failing too.

Bax
08/28/2008, 04:52 AM
If you feel you have to use an overflow box, Life Reef makes a very dependable line of HOT boxes, I ran one for over two years with absolutely no issues. I still keep it in case I need to set up an emergency tank.

That said, you'll happier long term with a drilled tank.

DLANDINO
08/28/2008, 07:14 AM
I am researching a sump now and can not drill my tank. Glass is tempered. So, I am looking at this model of H.O.B. overflow. Supposed to be very good and reliable. http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html

landlord
08/28/2008, 07:23 AM
I have the ^ mentioned overflow box and have never had any issues. Been in use for 1 year, multiple power outages, been turned off and on many times. As long as your return pump is powerful enough GPM-wise to keep bubbles from lingering or building up in the U-Tube and you as a person are aware that algae build-up in the tube needs to be cleaned periodically you should be just fine.

If you are still worried about it then install a float switch upside down deep enough in the sump so that when the water get too low it kills the return pump.

Just my 2 cents --landlord

DLANDINO
08/28/2008, 07:45 AM
landlord, you wouldn 't happen to have a link to an online store for the float switch that you have used successfully, would you? Thanks.

Dave

landlord
08/28/2008, 07:49 AM
auto top off . com

They used to offer a DIY Kit for like 50 bucks, which is the one I got. It contained two float switches, solenoid, bracket piece, etc I do not see it currently on the site.

DLANDINO
08/28/2008, 07:59 AM
thanks! I'll see what i can find.
Dave

landlord
08/28/2008, 08:00 AM
;)

FB
08/28/2008, 08:58 AM
I don't really understand why people have trouble with overflows. It is pretty simple to ensure you don't get a flood.

Make sure your sump is big enough to handle all the water that could possibly overflow from your tank

AND

Make sure that the total volume of water in your return section cannot overflow the display.

If both of these conditions are met you should not have a problem. If your drain gets plugged your return section should run dry before overflowing your tank. Yes you may damage your return pump but it's better than replacing your floor. If your return pump stops for some reason all the water that drains should not overflow your sump.

Of course this does not take care of plumbing breaking or such but as overflows go they are pretty simple.

FB

LUVSPS
08/28/2008, 09:04 AM
Smart^^^ But I'm still drilling:D

Brickyardpub
08/28/2008, 10:20 AM
I have an S.O.S. overflow on my display and its been pretty reliable I would say. About 6 months into it I started to slowly lose siphon due to an issue with too much flow in my sump and microbubbles in the display. I never had an overflow cause as stated above, my tank can handle the volume of my sump. In hindsight or on my next tank , I'll go pre-drilled for sure. You may want to look into one of those AQUA LIFTER pumps... I put one in and haven't had any siphon issues since. The SOS even has a nice little channel to accomodate an airline from it right up into the top of the U shape to pull any air that accumulates from microbubbles in your display. For the $15, its worth the investment to keep the siphon going and not have to worry and cheap enough to have a backup!! Cheers, good luck!

reef2
08/28/2008, 10:28 AM
double check but i could swear perfecto tanks r tempered all the way around.

LUVSPS
08/28/2008, 05:11 PM
^^Does anyone else know if Perfecto tanks are tempered? I sure don't want to drill, when I don't know for sure. I do remember a sticker on the bottom of the tank when I bought it saying 'This is tempered, do NOT drill' but does that go for the sides too? I did a google search but can't find info. Any one have a drilled Perfecto?

FishNFun
08/28/2008, 05:24 PM
You can use a polarized sunglasses to check if your tank glass is tempered. When you look through them you'll see a funky pattern if the glass is tempered.

As for a HOT overflow vs. drilled, I always drill. I don't like the RR tanks - something about holes in the bottom of the tank bothers me. I like the gl*******s.com overflows and that's what I use. If the bulkheads leak you only risk a few inches of water running out vs. the WHOLE tank. If you're handy, you could do a sweet coast to coast that would work great and be pretty easy to do. Good luck!

sjm817
08/28/2008, 05:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13248243#post13248243 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LUVSPS
^^Does anyone else know if Perfecto tanks are tempered? I sure don't want to drill, when I don't know for sure. I do remember a sticker on the bottom of the tank when I bought it saying 'This is tempered, do NOT drill' but does that go for the sides too? I did a google search but can't find info. Any one have a drilled Perfecto?

Take a look here:
http://www.marineland.com/sites/Marineland/Documents/Standard%20Aquarium%20Specs.pdf

xtm
08/28/2008, 05:59 PM
I was in an LFS once and this kid pulled out one of the u-tubes on one of their displays and the tank started to overflow..LMAO :lol: The owner's face was priceless.

Always drill!

Mr. Brooks
08/28/2008, 06:08 PM
Aqua lifters help but the small tubing clogs easily, just another thing you have to check on constantly.

LUVSPS
08/28/2008, 06:42 PM
xtm, LOL! Prob looked like mine when my 29 was about to overflow. :eek2:

Scott, I checked out the link and it says the 60 x 18 x 26 tanks (like mine) are only tempered on the bottom. So I guess I'm good!

sjm817
08/28/2008, 06:49 PM
That is usually the case. Most larger tanks are bottom tempered. The Perfecto 55G is on of the only on all sides.