PDA

View Full Version : Decorating FOWLR tanks?

Stang408
08/27/2008, 08:53 PM
Does anyone have a FOWLR tank with more than just live sand and live rocks? My tank seems so barren with just LS and LR. What are my options when decorating a fish only tank? I'd like to see pics of your FOWLR tanks with decorations. Thanks!

agreeive?fish
08/27/2008, 09:36 PM
Get some more colors, sizes, shapes of fish.... personaly iam not fond of store bought decorations

T-T-Trigger
08/27/2008, 11:19 PM
my most recent setup I did add some resin (gasp, P*tco) decor. with a titan trig I simply dont have the choice of adding more colorful fishes or live plants.

extremely important is to monitor lighting and source water for me - no clean crew means FO tanks can get ugly fast - so i try to avoid that as long as possible. The darker substrate seems to be helping too - hard to keep sand looking good.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/505/7462100g_full_front-med.JPG
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/505/7462100_side-med.JPG

predator 1
08/28/2008, 05:31 AM
This is an interesting subject for a thread.
I have struggled for many, many years to enhance the appearance of Predator systems. The main problem lies in the fact that Triggers, Arothons, etc, find the natural attractive additions as a tasty morsel. Although I have no concerns about Groupers, Snappers, & Barracuda's eating fancy Corals and crustaceans, the destructive few, make it a frustrating task.
After attempting to introduce many, many, types of natural decors, I finally found that "Plated Montipora" are allowed to flourish in peace!! They must contain some sort of defencive mechanism that repels the inquisitive fish.
I want to share the pictures with you all. I cannot fathom-out how to upload on this Forum. I have had many unsuccessful attempts, but to no avail!!

reefergeorge
08/28/2008, 10:40 AM
Get some gsp, and shrooms. Very few fish will find mushrooms edible, and they need minimal light.

predator 1
08/28/2008, 12:24 PM
I have tried "Mushroom Corals" on many occasions George. The Triggers,( but "Not" the Arothrons,) have destroyed them.!!!

reefergeorge
08/28/2008, 01:47 PM
The only trigger I have personal experience with is my picasso. He leaves everything alone except a cleaner shrimp (rip), and a few hermits. He has never bothered any coral or other fish.