PDA

View Full Version : Seachem Reef Salt, calcium carbonate forming too easily

Matt Wilkie
08/27/2008, 11:04 PM
Any one have problems mixing this salt? Ive used instant ocean for a year now and never had a problem but I decided to switch to seachem reef salt and It keeps on forming calcium carbonate. The first time I figured I added the salt too fast but the second time I added a cup every few hours or so and it still did it. I'm mixing it into a 10G container of RO/DI water. Is this salt just bad for that or do I got to try adding in 1/2 cup increaments every hour or so. IO never gave me this problem and I never really worried about how fast I added it.

micoral
08/28/2008, 12:27 AM
do you have a mixing pump in the container? I've mixed both types 50 gallons at a time and never really had issues that I knew of, but I had a big ugly rio 5000 or something like that in there grinding it up.

Matt Wilkie
08/28/2008, 08:59 AM
I use a MJ 1200

sdietz2469
08/28/2008, 09:27 AM
hmmm, salts should be pefectly ballanced not to precipitate, and the only time i have ever had a problem is when i was trying to add my alk, and ca buffers to my waterchange water, and then i did precipitate...... how long are you allowing to mix before doing your water change? 0this could just be something the salt does before breakdown .... i mix up 44 gallons at a time, and i use the ocean pure pro adding 18 cupps in a matter of about 1 minute..... i allow my salt to mix for atleast 24 hours..... mix it and try just letting it run and see it it beaks down....
shane

Matt Wilkie
08/28/2008, 06:28 PM
yeah Ive let it mix for 3 or 4 days

sps1-2-b
08/29/2008, 12:05 AM
I use Seachem Reef and I do get a white film on the inside of my plastic Rubbermaid trashcan. Didn't think much of it until now. I just cleaned it out yesterday so I'm gonna see tomorrow how fast the film builds up. I'll let you know.

SirToppemHat
08/29/2008, 05:17 AM
Mine forms a hard calcium buidup too. It doesn't just wipe off either.

stanlalee
08/29/2008, 06:50 AM
the residue from this salt sucks plain and simple. I stopped using it just because of that. It test great but I want my mix to clear up in the mixing bin not in my tank. It leaves a residue all around my saltwater bin and when I disturb it to change my water I end up with cloudy residue water that my skimmer and prefilters have to clear up.

DevilBoy
08/29/2008, 07:41 AM
i myself have never used the salt, but from what i hear people that have used it and when they check the ca levels in the makeup water they have been getting readings of 500+ for ca