PDA

View Full Version : Do you let the LFS know they have ich??

SmknReefer
08/28/2008, 07:18 AM
I have a trigger in QT for 3 days now and he has come down with ich. My params are good, so hopefully he can pull through, in the meantime, do you tell the LFS they have ich? It was all my fault I have one guy I usually go to but my hubby bought a pump from her and when we returned it (wrong one) only had instore credit. Shes a real wench -for mulitiple reasons.

Right, so what's your opinions? I mean its right assuming they will treat, then again, I have no desire to ever go back there either. But its for the fishes sake...???

atwinparadox2
08/28/2008, 07:28 AM
Well if you want the old... " HA HA Gotcha" type of thing, then don't tell her...but personally for the livestock sake, I would tell her the fish you received had ich. I am sure she will blame it all on you though :D

raen
08/28/2008, 07:28 AM
Why not, I would, and have. They may appreciate the heads up, that way they can treat, and hopefully knock it out, without having to credit tons of customers.

SmknReefer
08/28/2008, 08:15 AM
No no I don't want to say 'HA HA HA' but yeah I was thinking the same thing, she'd blame me, except its in QT and pretty much impossible for it to get from there...beings its the first time I even used this QT.

Thanks, I'll tell her, then she can go from there. Hopefully that includes her treating. Learned my lesson not to stray from my usual guy too!

sdietz2469
08/28/2008, 09:47 AM
yeah, but from my experienc, it doesnt do much good to tell them, as they will just continue to sell fish that are sick, because why you ask.... that means people will have to come back to buy more fish..... and besides..... it looked fine when i bagged it up!!

shane

Drock169
08/28/2008, 09:54 AM
being someone who works at a fish store, we know when things have ich and usually treat it when possibly, however there are some fish, certain tangs, that still get ich after theyve left the store even though they dont have it at the store

stingythingy45
08/28/2008, 10:05 AM
Personally,I think most LFS know when they have an Ich problem.
But they still have to make a living,so they do they best they can.
I've seen at least one case of Ich in just about every LFS I've visited.Only on a rare occasion have I not seen some kind of affliction that the live stock are suffering from.

Justinandkrista
08/28/2008, 11:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13244424#post13244424 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by raen
Why not, I would, and have. They may appreciate the heads up, that way they can treat, and hopefully knock it out, without having to credit tons of customers.
I wish it was that easy most lfs wont just credit everyone if you knew and told them they might just tell you sorry nothing we can do were workin on it.

Skeptic_07
08/28/2008, 12:36 PM
i love to ask the question "what are those white dots??" see if they tell me "they're supposed to be there" Some LFS employees have actually answered me that way. Needless to say, i rarely shop there and only go in to see if they have some rare fish i've always wanted, which they never have.

greenbean36191
08/28/2008, 01:21 PM
I personally wouldn't bother. Whether it becomes apparent or not, I assume almost all LFS have ich in at least one of their systems at all times. Hobbyists should always assume their fish are infected when they bring them home from the store anyway.

Very few stores have the resources to treat all of their fish so whether they know they have it or not doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

Justinandkrista
08/31/2008, 08:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13246273#post13246273 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Skeptic_07
i love to ask the question "what are those white dots??" see if they tell me "they're supposed to be there" Some LFS employees have actually answered me that way. Needless to say, i rarely shop there and only go in to see if they have some rare fish i've always wanted, which they never have.

I like the humor. funny i do the same thing

kwirky
08/31/2008, 09:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13245179#post13245179 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sdietz2469
yeah, but from my experienc, it doesnt do much good to tell them, as they will just continue to sell fish that are sick, because why you ask.... that means people will have to come back to buy more fish..... and besides..... it looked fine when i bagged it up!!

shane

Not all LFS's are ogres.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13245295#post13245295 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stingythingy45
Personally,I think most LFS know when they have an Ich problem.
But they still have to make a living,so they do they best they can.
I've seen at least one case of Ich in just about every LFS I've visited.Only on a rare occasion have I not seen some kind of affliction that the live stock are suffering from.

Agreed. You can tell the store but they probably already know if their fish have ich. Some stores wont' sell sick fish, some will. Ich can also develop just because of transportation, in some fish.

abulgin
08/31/2008, 09:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13245228#post13245228 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Drock169
however there are some fish, certain tangs, that still get ich after theyve left the store even though they dont have it at the store

Come one . . . unless these tangs are introduced to the parasite after it leaves your store, it had it when it left your store. Ich is not some genetic disorder--it attacks fish because it has been introduced to them.

I always tell the LFS when I see a fish with ich--they never do anything about and will sell the fish to the next unsuspecting customer, but I feel it's my duty to tell them even if it does no good.

Look, let's talk reality. Most LFS get so many fish, so often, that it's just not possible/cost-effective to treat the fish, assuming they even recognize the problem. Almost no LFS employ any type of quarantine system--it just doesn't make any economic sense, they are limited in space, need to make money, pay rent, etc.

I don't fault the LFS for having fish that are infected--this is almost inevitable. What I do fault LFS for is selling a fish knowing it has ich, and a lot of LFS do this.

abulgin
08/31/2008, 09:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13246273#post13246273 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Skeptic_07

I also like, "Ich is present in every aquarium" and "tangs always have ich".

xioxxio
08/31/2008, 09:39 PM
Sure, tell them and et us knmow the response

jkrentz2515
08/31/2008, 09:50 PM
I guess i'm lucky because my LFS quarantines all of their new livestock for at least a week before putting it in their display tanks. I have yet to see a fish there with ich.