PDA

View Full Version : Just got two and they are running HOT

luntiz
08/28/2008, 08:37 AM
Hello, I just got two MP40w in the mail yesterday and have them running on Short Pulse mode (at full speed) with the longest interval (probably 3-4 seconds between pulses) and the dry side w/ the motor is HOT.

I'm at work right now but once I get home I'll try to take a temp reading off the unit. The pumps don't shut down or anything, at least I haven't noticed since I didnt have them up and running until late last night and went to bed early.

Should I be concerned? They are hot enough to be unbearable to the touch.

EcoTech Marine
08/28/2008, 08:42 AM
The pump's are designed to run hot at the higher speeds, approximately 50 deg C. At 60 deg C they will go into a thermal protection mode and slow down for a bit. If the temp's keep going up due to a failure of some sort, they will then shut down. This temperature is definitely perceived as hot, but it will not damage either the pump or you.

That being said, new pumps definitely run hotter than broken in pumps, and it can take about a week to break in. Also, check to make sure that your pin spacer is not bent and rubbing on the dry side magnet. That will make a pump run hot.

-Tim

luntiz
08/28/2008, 08:50 AM
By bent pin spacer, do you mean one of the pin being bent so that it occupies the space between the flat surfaces of the motor and the spacer? Like having the pin become sandwiched between the motor and the pin spacer house?

EcoTech Marine
08/28/2008, 09:04 AM
Yes.

-Tim

luntiz
08/28/2008, 09:50 AM
Oh okay, well I'm glad to say everything is fine then. Thanks for the help Tim.