PDA

View Full Version : mold question

genzod66
08/28/2008, 10:16 PM
i have asthma and allergies,i have 3 tanks , a 125 a 46 and a 24,i have a new 3 level townhome with brand new central air that is always on,i have a tank on all 3 levels,it doesnt smell musky or moldy,all the walls are bone dry,all carpets are dry,everything seems fine,but i have had bad allergies,probobly the season or something,anyone else ever have mold,or have any info on getting rid of humidity,or any other info,or have allergies,any info would be great

Everyones Hero
08/28/2008, 10:21 PM
I have some mold growing on the inside of my stand. It's one of the old school particle board type stands & I think the evaporated water from my sump is causing it.

Best was to get rid of moisture would be a dehumidifier. We had one in our old house with a basement & had to empty it daily during the more humid months.

ILoveReefer
08/28/2008, 10:57 PM
Adding a vent and a fan to the stand wouldn't hurt. So the trapped moisture can escape.

Sk8r
08/29/2008, 08:10 AM
There is a mold test kit available at some grocery stores. Basically you expose it to air and stuff grows on it if you've got a problem.

This is ragweed season, and is the season for every other plant desperate to seed and reproduce before winter comes on.

I sympathize about mold: I'm allergic to it too, but have never had an issue with a well-ventilated tank. If you live in the Great Plains---consider a job northward. I never realized how much I was suffering living in Oklahoma, exposed to wheat smut, ragweed, tons of prairie grasses, and the downwind effects of farm fertilizer from as far away as Colorado. Up here, it's fire season, but at least it's brief.