PDA

View Full Version : Moving dilemma

tryone43
08/29/2008, 09:43 AM
I am live in VA and I am moving to Italy. Is it possible to ship my most of my live rock with me and set my tank up three months later with new and old live rook? Will the old live rock grow with the new live rock? Do you have any advice to give about my dilemma?

reef2
08/29/2008, 09:49 AM
u can dry the rock out and ship it. once u add it to the new tank and add some fresh lr it will reseed the dryrock.

Jessy.
08/29/2008, 05:43 PM
the expense will probably be not worth it. I'm sure you can find live rock in Europe unless you have some special attachment to the rocks you have now. (I knew a guy that hand collected his himself so he wanted to keep it). You can transfer the rock and if you keep it moist in transport, then put it in a bin with flow, filter, and some light for 3 months you can keep it alive. Then if you add new live rock in with it, the new rock will add to the biodiversity...but live rock doesn't "grow". I'm not sure if that's what you meant or if you just stated it wrong.

Personally if I was moving overseas I'd sell everything except my equipment (lights, skimmer, powerheads, etc) and just set up a new tank 3 months down the road fresh in italy.