PDA

View Full Version : I swear my carpet has a death wish

reefing102
08/29/2008, 12:24 PM
well I'm pretty sure my anemone has a death wish. When I first got it, it decided to walk to a maxi jet 600. I turn off the powerhead he walks to a rock and doesn't move. Fast Foward a couple months. My anemone decided to walk again. He walks right back to the maxi 600. Turn it off again and he walks out but up the wall. He seemed fine for a few days. He walked again, straight to my filter intake. I turn off the filter and he walks out, right up the outside of the intake tube, but right above the intake so I can't turn it on. So, he looks ok right now, still a little shriveled but not to bad.

Hopefully he decides not to walk to one of my other powerheads.

On a good note, my clown decided to host the carpet.

[rant off]

traveller7
08/29/2008, 01:20 PM
A carpet on the move is a carpet that has not found the proper environment.

Could be water quality, lighting, flow, predators, etc.

Cover your powerheads and intakes with foam.
Make sure any heaters are kept out of the main tank.

reefing102
08/29/2008, 01:56 PM
well heres everything that has been happening recently in my tank

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1459408

water params are in there.

Lighting is 130 Watts PC - Soon to be upgrading to T5.

Total Flow is around 650 gph but i might increase that with a maxi jet mod.

I don't believe there are any predators for him - except maybe the curley Q anemone

traveller7
08/29/2008, 02:33 PM
Depending on the species of carpet, you may or may not have too much flow already. Have you posted any pictures of the anemone?

fwiw: Injuries to anemones would appear to "leak" nematocysts(or something) into the water column. Non clown fish deaths are not unusual after such an injury.

reefing102
08/29/2008, 02:46 PM
I haven't posted any pics of him. He had bleached out but was recovering his green color before all this happened. Can't get a great pic right now. I think he might be an atlantic species though because of the price we got him for at the LFS

traveller7
08/29/2008, 02:54 PM
Hmm...S.helianthus(Atlantic Carpet) can be a mover. They tend to be quite hardy and very sticky. If it adapts to the light, I would expect it to sit under it directly.

IME, they are not known for liking heavy flow.

reefing102
08/29/2008, 03:02 PM
He is quite sticky. Where he stayed by the rock was directly under the light so he may be trying to get even closer to the light. I hope he adapts to the light. I have been directly feeding him once a week hoping he gets his color back.

reefing102
08/29/2008, 03:04 PM
Oh and thanks for all the help Scott

traveller7
08/29/2008, 03:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13254192#post13254192 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefing102
Oh and thanks for all the help Scott You are quite welcome. Post a picture when you get a chance and we'll see if we can nail down an ID :)

Cheers.