PDA

View Full Version : Oh No!!!

Fireworm
08/29/2008, 03:17 PM
Well, I got home from running around today, to come home to my tank sucking air. My return on my RDSB got plugged with something and overflowed. I figure I had close to 20-25 gallons end up in the carpet. Does anyone have any suggestions on helping with the salt creep on the carpet that I am sure will happen, or to possibly stop mold.

Let me know.

Thanks
Phil

mojo~
08/29/2008, 03:23 PM
shampoo it. Thats about it. Suck up as much as you can with the shampooer or wet dry. And shamoo the carpet. if you go over it enough it will pull the salt out . just have to go over it a few extra times. Time to bypass the sand bed.

LornaS
08/29/2008, 05:46 PM
not sure how it got plugged up if the return isn't in the same section as the sand bed.....did a snail get into the return or something? regardless, get a good shop vac or steam cleaner and suck as much as possible out right away, then run over it a number of times with clear water and it should dilute the salt enough......I hope. I had an overflow and ruined the laminate floor around the tank....and that was only about 2-3 gallons. I can only imagine what 25-30 looks like on the floor......sorry to hear that. Hope you get it all cleaned up. Oh and get some fans blowing on it to dry it out as soon as possible.......Open the windows and blow as much air across it as you can. The important thing even more than the salt is to get it dry asap to make sure you don't get any mold or mildew. Good luck!

Fireworm
08/29/2008, 10:13 PM
I went over it a hundred times with the steam vac and sucked up a lot of it. I then soaked some up with towels when I was not getting much more on the vac. The fan running the entire time with the ac on hopefully pulling up more moisture.

I just had to much flow running through it. I was thinking about changing that this morning, and now I have a reason to.