PDA

View Full Version : Purple-Up - How Long Untill Cloudiness Goes Away?

StinkinTuna
08/29/2008, 05:56 PM
For those who use Purple-Up, How Long Untill Clodiness Goes Away?

And is it 100% safe for fish?

Thx!

SeaMonsters
08/29/2008, 05:59 PM
PU= bad product

StinkinTuna
08/29/2008, 06:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13255168#post13255168 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SeaMonsters
PU= bad product

Why?

spleify
08/29/2008, 07:34 PM
Waste of time waste of money. JMO
When you say clear up so you can put fish in, what is the state of the tank? Is this a new tank? Did you take the fish out so you could put in purple up?
Its safe for fish at any time as long as you didn't pour the whole bottle in at once.
Theres nothing really"wrong" with this product, it just won't really do anything for you're system.
JMO

Spleify

seapug
08/29/2008, 07:48 PM
Yeah, I used their "araga milk" product in my tank for about 6 months when I first set it up. Purple up is basically the Aragamilk product with iodine added. Says it'll take care of all your calcium and alkalinity needs. I eventually got test kit and found my alkalinity at 4 dkh and my Calcium at 560. Proof is in the pudding, and that's not good pudding.

StinkinTuna
08/29/2008, 08:36 PM
I have a relatively new setup (20g) and added some new cured white as can be dead rock (already some small rocks covered with corraline alage from my main tank) and just wanted to speed up the coraline growth process and heard about this product here and there.

There's only a few fish in there (false perc and watchmen goby) with a cleaner shrimp .

Heard it would accelerate corraline growth but also heard from others and saw on the bottle that it may cloud water temporarily.

Wanted to know how long the water stays cloudy....

NealNano
08/29/2008, 08:41 PM
Purple Up = messed up chemistry and no faster coraline growth. Just wait and keep alk and ca close to NSW levels. Time will take care of the rest.

Sk8r
08/29/2008, 08:42 PM
Iodine will not fix calcium and alk. Stop all additives, do some 10% water changes, get tests (I use Salifert) that deliver precise alk/cal/mg numbers, and we can get you out of this. Purple Up is not the best way to get coralline, imho: set your alk at 8.3, your cal at 420, and your mg at 1400 and it will do anything that product will do and NOT cloud your tank---which is reducing aailable oxygen for your fish.

TXAlbert
08/29/2008, 08:53 PM
Purple Up is the best! When I started my 560 a few years ago, Purple Up was like a kick in the you know what for the coralline algal growth. Of course, with Mg being at a constant 1300+, dKH in the 9-10 range, Ca hovering around 400 also helped along with proper photoperiods.

As for the cloudyness, if I recall correctly, it says to dump it in a high flow area in your tank. What I used to do was to pour it directly in front of my powerheads and the liquid was quickly dispersed into all four corners; the cloudyness went away typically in about 15/20 minutes.

spleify
08/29/2008, 10:38 PM
AlbertoMexico, you're hobby experienc says "new", yet you claim you set up a 560 gal tank " a few years ago" and you registered to this sit last month???.......

Do youself a favor stinkintuna follow sk8r advice and keep you're params as close to NSW, and you will have all the coraline algae you want in no time.

Good luck, and happy reefing.

Another thing you may want to do is ask this question in the Reef Chemistry forum, see what you get there.

Spleify

carne125
08/30/2008, 12:53 AM
wate of money if tank has been set up long because prop levels will grow more coralline but in a new tank maybe good to jump start, just check levels to make sure all is good. But if your tank is not new stay away

BuddhaKiss
08/30/2008, 01:10 AM
I used purple up when I set up my first tank. After a few months my corralline really took off. Dunno if it was due to the purple up or not, but I haven't used it since and still have 3/4 of the bottle left.