PDA

View Full Version : storing water

woogy
08/30/2008, 11:14 AM
Sometimes I have some left over water after I do water changes. Is this ok to store? The last batch I made I just put the lid over it and was going to add some more to it. Does this cause stuff to leak out into it and will it affect the trace elements?

seapug
08/30/2008, 11:31 AM
yes indeed. It can be argued the longer it ages the better it is. I keep a 30 gallon brute trashcan filled and circulating with a powerhead and heater at all times. I do weekly 10 gallon water changes and replace what I use over the week so I'm always mixing the new ten gallons in 20 gallons of old water.

woogy
08/30/2008, 11:37 AM
is it ok not to keep the water circulated?

crvz
08/30/2008, 11:53 AM
if it's salt water, I'd keep it circulated (cheap maxijet 400 or something). just RO/DI and I would leave it alone.

Rae C.
08/30/2008, 12:50 PM
I found my pre-mixed saltwater in the brute can developed some sort of bacterial slime and really smelled bad after a week or so. It was because I wasn't circulating it. After cleaning the brute can thoroughly, I mixed salt water again, kept the MJ running in it, and it kept fine. I only put the heater in the night before a water change. I know I'm only saving pennies in electricity that way, but every penny counts.

tspors
08/30/2008, 05:07 PM
I have a 32 Gal Rubber maid in basement. I have a magnum 350 running to circulate. I fill with RO/DI water use it top off. Day before water change I mix up salt. Do 15g change in my 150 every Sunday (my church) then turn back on RO/DI. Salinty drops so I can use for top off during week. Salinity in tank stay at 1.025. Storing water would be ok for a week if it is stagnant and covered. Longer if you have movement.

Landon B.
08/30/2008, 08:31 PM
I always keep my water circulating, use it as I need it and then top it off and add more salt. Never had any problems.

Flipper62
08/30/2008, 11:14 PM
Just My Opinion........I only make my RO/DI water a day or two before my water change. I always check the TDS of my RO/DI water before any top off or a water change. I just always found that if the water is a few days old....the TDS will change

Also, it is best to have your new water for your water change is to have it mix for at least 12 hours or so.... Also this will airate the water with oxygen.....& all will be good

Randy Holmes-Farley
08/31/2008, 10:40 AM
I found my pre-mixed saltwater in the brute can developed some sort of bacterial slime and really smelled bad after a week or so. It was because I wasn't circulating it.

What salt mix? Some like Reef Crystals contain organics in the form of vitamins and such that cna be consumed by bacteria and may make the water anaerobic if not stirred. Others, like IO, contain no such organics, and should be fine unstirred. :)

Rae C.
08/31/2008, 12:03 PM
Yep, it's Reef Crystals. Interesting.

rogergolf66
08/31/2008, 12:40 PM
yes interested I also use RC and have that problem.

Bruno3047
08/31/2008, 12:54 PM
I'll be keeping a tub of 30-35 gallons of NSW in storage for water changes, etc. I'm planning on running an air pump/box filter filled with carbon and a pad to keep it clean and aerated. An alternative would be to run a HOB-type power filter.

Any thoughts on this?

HaleMoana
08/31/2008, 01:52 PM
I have a 55 gallon drum that I keep circulating and heated at all times. I usually keep it filled to the 35 gallon mark. I use 20 gallons weekly for water changes, then just top off with RO water and add salt.

killa268
08/31/2008, 02:54 PM
I had no idea that you could even re-use the water. Sounds like a good idea but do you have add stuff to it to reuse the water?

HaleMoana
08/31/2008, 03:00 PM
^Oh, I misread the original question. Yeah, that is a good question.

So, I guess the question is... is it safe to mix your discarded water from your WC to an existing saltwater reservoir for future use? hhhmmmm... I am very interested to see the answer to this! It makes a lot of sense.

Randy Holmes-Farley
08/31/2008, 04:47 PM
Why would you want to reuse water that you discarded due to it being undesirably contaminated/depleted?

If you do keep old tank water or NSW water, it definitely needs to be kept aerated or will rapidly become anaerobic as bacteria consume organics.

HaleMoana
08/31/2008, 04:51 PM
^LOL... good point!!

Lawnmower Blenn
09/01/2008, 07:38 AM
does carbon do any thing for the water or will it kill soffties sps and lps or is it good for ro water when ya store it

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/01/2008, 07:53 AM
It is not necessary or useful on already made RO/DI water or new salt water. It also will not cause any harm in such water, unless your salt mix incorporates vitamins, in which case it will bind and remove them.