PDA

View Full Version : vortech wave vs overflow question?

reefermike1
08/30/2008, 12:16 PM
planning a new tank within the next couple months. the tanks dimensions are 36Lx30wx20H with an overflow on the back wall. it will be a bb sps tank.

id like to put a gen2 vortech(possibly 2) on the back wall in the center but closer to the top and run it pulse mode. the wave would then be going front to back and im wondering what effect that will have on the overflow box as far as gurgling or inconsistent flow. if it is a problem is there any way to fix it?

also for vortech owners how do u think one or two of them will perform in the tank as described? would one be enough or two be overkill? should that be all id need as far as flow is concerned?

LUVSPS
08/30/2008, 12:24 PM
I'm not sure, intrested in what others say. I would THINK that the overflow would gurgle and cause problems but I'm not sure. Would the tank be drilled?

I have two vortechs on my 120 sps and I love them. 2 on your set-up might be over kill but I'd probably get two anyway. You can always turn down the flow to your liking. You should be set as far as flow. Great pumps!

renisel
08/30/2008, 03:34 PM
I think that so long as you don't create a standing wave, the surface disturbance won't be too bad. Even if the surface is pretty choppy, you should be able to keep the overflow fairly quiet if you set it up right.

As for whether you should get one or two, I'd go with two, especially if you don't even have to worry about a sandstorm from too much flow.

mga345
08/31/2008, 05:14 AM
In my 125G mixed corals tank I have 3 GEN2 vortechs, but I think that 2 is enough.
I use the reef crest mode as my pumps are set on the side walls and I get a full coverage of every point in the tank.
I would not recommend the use of the pulse mode in a small tank.
Great pumps and I am very satisfied.

reefermike1
08/31/2008, 06:52 AM
thanks for the replies :)

reefermike1
08/31/2008, 03:19 PM
why wouldnt you reccomend pulse mode in a small tank? tank is roughly 95gallons btw... wouldnt really call it small...