PDA

View Full Version : skimmer choice

KafudaFish
08/30/2008, 08:09 PM
I realize this and "Which lights ....?" are the most asked questions but I need help on this please.

Background:
Almost 2 yo 29 gallon mantis tank on an open metal stand without a sump. The clearance between the display tank and the bottom shelf is maybe 24". I could could put a sump in but that would mean drilling the DT, buying the equipment such as drill bits, bulkhead, plumbing and a return pump. Also I would have to either build a new stand to hide it or build a shell to cover it because of a 2 yo who is into everything. I have even found a toy or 2 in the tanks before.

I have looked at Tunze 9002, BM 100 and their in-tank skimmer but wonder how it would work, the Octo NW 110 and doing a DIY.

The easiest would be the Tunze and I would spend the money on a PH instead of a return pump. The BM should work as well but would have to be in a sump. The Octo is cheap right now and could be modded. A DIY would also be cheap but I would need help with pump selection.

So which would you choose? Is there another choice? I would like to keep equipment budget under $200. This would not include the stand because my FIL always builds my stands and pays for the wood. It would just take a long time due to work for him to build one.
Thanks.

mudskipper1
08/30/2008, 08:51 PM
Have you thought about or looked into the AquaC skimmers. they make a good value skimmer

KafudaFish
08/30/2008, 09:21 PM
I already have the Urchin Pro with a Mag 3 pump but want something more quiet because the tank is next to the TV plus I have never been very happy with it. Thanks though.

kodyboy
08/30/2008, 10:03 PM
I do not know about the BM internal, but for the price and what you need it for it would probably be fine.
The 9002 would also work fine, and probably be the easiest one to use.
Another option is the new turboflotar blue, a great looking HOB skimmer, although that is at the top of cost:)
http://www.aquacave.com/turboflotor-blue-1000-brprotein-skimmer-brby-aquamedic-2274.html

KafudaFish
08/31/2008, 12:17 AM
Thanks. I will have to think about having a pump in the tank but I could hide it. Yes I realize that 200 isn't much for a skimmer but I have spent less than that on the entire set up so basically I would be doubling it. Seems like there is always something else needed isn't it?

kodyboy
08/31/2008, 05:06 AM
always......