PDA

View Full Version : Great Fish Store out Kadena's Gate 1

dkermitb
08/31/2008, 06:54 AM
I found a great fish store out of Gate 1 near Kadena. As you go north by Naval Kadena, it's directly behind "Coco's". I usually park at the convenient store beside Coco's and walk west to the small store. It is very small and the local people who own it are a mom and pop shop.

I talked with him and he owns his own store and catches the fish with nets. He prided himself on using no chemicals to catch the local fish. He also told me that if the Japanese Coast Guard catches people without license it is a million Yen fine.

I was able to buy butterfly fish there for under $10. This is an incredable buy if you are use to the US fish market. Just thought it might help other people out.

Lionel
08/31/2008, 07:18 AM
Yeah, most of us know the place as 'the fish lady'(marine fish lagoon is the real name of the place). Great deals, but as you probably noticed, the place isnt exactly kept to a very high standard. The old man can build you acrylic sumps for a decent price too. There is a thread on here detailing all of the local stores, with decent directions to most of them. PPM seems to be in the process of completely shutting their doors, or moving locations.

dkermitb
08/31/2008, 07:25 AM
You were spot on about the fish store. Have you ever had any issues with the previously mentioned fish store? They seem pretty good so far. Also, how do the other places stack up to this location?

Lionel
08/31/2008, 06:43 PM
The prices cant be beaten. I havent had any issues with their fish, but I've only bought fish from them once.

fischtank
09/01/2008, 08:35 PM
they can also set up to have water delevored to your house... or bring in big *** jugs and they will fill them... great place

Patrick12
09/09/2008, 05:41 AM
When you say "behind Coco's" do you mean the curry restaurant place?

Lionel
09/09/2008, 06:16 AM
yeah, that's the one.

Patrick12
09/13/2008, 05:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13262873#post13262873 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lionel
Yeah, most of us know the place as 'the fish lady'(marine fish lagoon is the real name of the place). Great deals, but as you probably noticed, the place isnt exactly kept to a very high standard. The old man can build you acrylic sumps for a decent price too.

Do you have to talk to the old man if you want a sump made?

I went there today to find out about a sump and had qite a time communicating with the lady. She told me that she doesn't know english...or I think that is what she was getting at....in any event she seemed to indicate that they don't make sumps, but I really could not be sure because of the language barrier.

dkermitb
09/13/2008, 08:32 PM
The man is about the same speed with English. Time to do the English hand cues and such. Remember, any foreigner will be able to understand English if you talk loud and slow--hahaha. Just kidding.

Lionel
09/13/2008, 09:05 PM
I've gomt some bookmarks saved on my PC for custom cut acrylic sheets.. if you want to get together and maybe we can order some stuff and put em together.. im not too shabby with acrylic.

dkermitb
09/13/2008, 09:10 PM
The man is about the same speed with English. Time to do the English hand cues and such. Remember, any foreigner will be able to understand English if you talk loud and slow--hahaha. Just kidding.

Lionel
09/13/2008, 11:56 PM
you just posted the same thing twice :P

TheDeparted
09/14/2008, 04:35 AM
just build your own sump.. I did it, wasnt hard. just take your time with it.

Lionel
09/14/2008, 05:41 AM
where can we get some decent acrylic at?

fischtank
09/14/2008, 07:15 AM
makeman

if not make man... then any other tool store

TheDeparted
09/14/2008, 06:55 PM
yea.. few places on island.. I got mine over at kanahide at Navel Kadena.. just make sure that you get the 5mm thik acrylic.

Patrick12
09/15/2008, 06:59 AM
Do they sell the weld 40 glue for it too...or the 2 part glue?

Lionel
09/15/2008, 08:26 AM
I am going to be ordering some soon, just to keep around the house (since i play with acrylic so much). I can order a bit extra if you want. I am going to get the #40 and a few tubes of the #16 thick stuff

dkermitb
09/15/2008, 04:47 PM
If you are really in a hurry, I think Vivid sells tubes of it for under $10.

TheDeparted
09/15/2008, 07:10 PM
ahhh no idea on the glue.. my buddy had some. so we just used his..

Lionel
09/15/2008, 07:35 PM
you can get something similar to weld-on 40 at makeman.. but it is a very small bottle for a very high price (like $7).

TheDeparted
09/18/2008, 08:54 AM
lol.. $7 is nothing after you drop $200+ on the acrylic.

Lionel
09/18/2008, 05:05 PM
yeah, i went to naval kadena and took a look yesterday. the thickest stuff they have is 5mm sheets of acrylic

dkermitb
09/19/2008, 03:31 AM
Acrylic is expensive unless you get it used. Have you looked at DRMO (Gov stuff they are throwing out?) I've seen a lot of companies in the past make signs out of acrylic and then just junk it. You might be able to get something from the pile that is free of chemicals and cheap. Just a thought.

dkermitb
09/19/2008, 07:54 AM
Lionel, I'm interested in getting the water from you this weekend. I left my phone number in the last PM. Not sure if you got it. Feel free to give me a call.

Lionel
09/19/2008, 09:55 AM
yeah sure thing. I'll give ya a call tomorrow morning sometime

tylersdad
09/20/2008, 12:45 AM
Hey Lionel, I just put those zoos and mushrooms in my tank, they look really good. I will probably get with you tomorrow once I find something to do with this chaeto so I can get some RO and give your tupperware back!

Lionel
09/20/2008, 02:11 AM
sounds good man

2t2_crash
09/30/2008, 03:35 AM
hey I have a bunch of acrylic sheet if you guys dont mind mildly scratched stuff for sumps.
I go to that store all the time, they have the best coral IMO, bought a small mushroom for 600 yen

Lionel
09/30/2008, 04:36 AM
what thickness acrylic?? I've been wanting to get some more to work with, but the price is pretty steep here. I want to build a shallow, but large frag tank.

2t2_crash
09/30/2008, 04:47 AM
just under a quarter inch, PM me

Lionel
09/30/2008, 06:07 AM
pm sent

james37128
10/03/2008, 09:54 AM
You were talking about glues a big back. I bought some japanese stuff, no idea really anything about it but it really seems like weld-on 3 because it dries so darn fast. I am wondering what exactly you guys are using, and if you are using weld on 4 and buying online somewhere in the states and getting it shipped, which company do you use. I am having a hard time finding the stuff, I got all the acrylic to build my sump today, but no good solvent.

Lionel
10/03/2008, 07:39 PM
theres a pet supply business on ebay that sells it.

ssublime1
11/25/2008, 07:38 PM
I'm starting up a new tank, would you guys rely on this store's water to be reliable enough for this purpose? I'm waiting on an RO/DI unit to get here but I'd like to get the tank up and cycling ASAP.

magrath
11/25/2008, 08:26 PM
I use the fish ladies's water about a quarter of the time and have had no problems whatsoever. If you need some RO water I would be happy to let you get however much you need from my unit.

Brad

ssublime1
11/25/2008, 10:47 PM
Thanks! I would really appreciate it. I need about 30 gal total for my system, not too much. Trying to match up flow rates right now to avoid flooding my room.

BTW I have used their water in the past but I've always had problems with algae eventually. I'm in no way blaming the water though, just wondering about other's experiences.

james37128
11/26/2008, 12:47 AM
Sublime, you are matching flow rates to avoid flooding? that SOUNDS dangerous, sounds like in a power outage, or dirty return line, you will have a flood. Please post the build that you have going on. I'd love to see it.

ssublime1
11/26/2008, 03:12 AM
Yes I'm matching flow rates. I have siphon holes built into both lines and the return pump in the sump is very close to the surface. In the event the flow into the sump stops I'll probably burn up the pump but at least it won't flood. I need to get a float switch for that pump actually. The pumps are also hooked into a heavy duty UPS in case of power outage.

It's still in the very beginning stages of this setup and I might scrap the sump idea altogether if it turns out to be too risky. I ran it all day today with fresh water to get the flow rates matched and it's pretty near perfect. The sump will only be filled to 3/4's max to further guard against overflow. Hopefully I can get some RO water and live sand in the next couple days and get this show on the road. :)

BTW any good places to find 5 gallon containers for cheap? The best ones I saw tonight were the 20 liter jobs at makemon and sakumoto for 10 dollars each. Trying the fishing stores tomorrow.

tylersdad
11/26/2008, 04:21 AM
Like 5 gallon buckets? I just picked up some from Eagle Hardware for some "projects around the house", if you live in housing you can get some there.

ssublime1
11/26/2008, 05:30 AM
Yeah something with a decent capacity and a lid is what I'm looking for. I live off base and a civilian so no "home improvement" projects for me, heheh.

Is it against the rules to place WTB ads in here? I am in need of a power head or two and some chaeto.

tylersdad
11/26/2008, 06:10 AM
I can give you some chaeto, Lionel hooked me up so I can pay it forward. What kind of power head do you need? They sell those marineland 660s at the PX/BX, I run 3 in my tank and they do ok. They are like $17.00 I think.

magrath
11/26/2008, 04:28 PM
I got all my 25g containers in the states before I came over here, but I am sure the Monkey Store (Makaman) has some containers. Give me a call whenever you need the water and I will have 50g of RO/DI waiting for you. 090-1947-9875

Brad

ssublime1
11/26/2008, 05:03 PM
That's awesome! Before I call, are you too busy today being it's turkey day and all?

james37128
11/26/2008, 10:49 PM
Nope, no rules about putting WTB or selling ads in the club forums. Do you have an external overflow? If so which one is it? I am trying to understand the worry you have. From the sounds of it you should be ok, the only BIG worry with external overflows (for me anways) is when the power goes out for 30 seconds or more, the comes back on. If you loose the siphon of the external overflow and your pump comes on, that's when you have a little flood usually. With your pump high in the sump that's good to prevent the flooding, and you also have the backup power, so that should run the pump and keep the siphon going. Other than that as long as you check the overflows and remove the air from the tubes every few days or a week, they work pretty good. If you don't have an ATO and the pump is too high in the sump you will eventually burn it out, everyone forgets to add water for a day or 2. With an ATO everything should be fine for you. Without an ATO you might want to consider your options of lowering the pump where if you forget to top of for say 3 or 4 days you will be OK.