PDA

View Full Version : Overflow for a 375gal tank

GlassReef
08/31/2008, 07:13 AM
My tank guy is just about to start on my 375. I originally told him I wanted a coast to coast, on the back. Now I've started to worry about "the look". There's no way I'd be able to hide the thing from view. So my question is .... I could put the overflow on the side where it's not so visible. The tank is 36" (front to back) - minus a little for where the tank fits in the wall would leave me with approx. 28" of overflow. Do you think this is sufficient for a 96"X36"X25" tank? The overflow will be smooth - no teeth.

Untamed12
08/31/2008, 03:35 PM
I would try to get more length somehow. I suppose the real answer depends on how much water you intend to flow through the overflow. Without any teeth in the overflow, you'll get better flow...but if you push too much water over it will create a dangerous situation for fish etc in the tank.

I have 36" of overflow on my 400 gallon tank and I wish it were slightly more. My overflow(s) have teeth.

Untamed12
08/31/2008, 03:37 PM
Put the coast to coast overflow OUTSIDE the back wall....it will be unseen then (I assume you don't have backside viewing)

GlassReef
08/31/2008, 03:53 PM
Sorry Untamed, I should have mentioned that the overflow is on the outside. What worries me is that you'll be able to see it through the back panel. I was thinking about having a black acrylic panel installed covering the entire inside of the back panel, but I'm afraid it'll be very hard to keep clean - coraline, etc.