PDA

View Full Version : Mooving!!!!

killa268
08/31/2008, 02:24 PM
Hey guys I found out from my parents that we are moving to a nearby city. It is 20 miles away from where I live right now. I am having panic attacks because I have no idea what I will be doing with my tank.
My dad and I are going to rent a U-Haul truck to move and he says he knows what to do with the tank. He says to take most(???) of the water out, put the fish into plastic ziplock bags, lift the tank and put in the truck and move all of the things to the new house. But what I am thinking is that the tank will be very heavy because of the live rock and live sand (live sand =40 lb, live rock = 45lb) plus the weight of the tank and stand. DO you guys think this is a good idea?

rogergolf66
08/31/2008, 02:36 PM
no don't lift the tank with anything in it if it is glass as the bottom may come off depending how it is built. Also as you said the weight will be crazy, but yes you can move the tank. you will get a small mini cycle again so have some amqual on hand, and get ready with water changes.

here is what you do

get those rubbermade containers from walmart 18 gallon or so put some water in it move all the rock in the container. make sure the rock is covered. you can use the bags as your dad said for the fish but get large enogh bags (gallon) for larger fish. double bag them. if you have coral it will need a heater if you live up north or a frozzen 1 litter bottle if you live in the heat of the south. and a battery opperated airitor.

take the sand out of the tank. the problem is you really will need some new water to put back in the tank as some of it will be to dirty to reuse.

When you are putting the water back into the tank take a large bowl turn it upside down and slowly poor the water on top of the bowl to stop from restiring up the sand again. This way you will keep the water clearer from the sand getting stired up.

Roger

seafansar
08/31/2008, 02:39 PM
Buy some rubbermaid tubs and buckets. Put the water and rock in the tubs and put the fish in the buckets with some tank water. Make sure the buckets don't get too hot during the drive and if you need to keep then in there for a while add an airstone. I would say you could keep the sand in the tank, maybe, or put that in a tub too. Don't want to break your tank with too much weight!

killa268
08/31/2008, 02:47 PM
I think what I will do is that I will take all of the water and the rocks and put it in one of the totes from walmart. Once all of the water is taken out I think we will be able to lift the tank into the U-haul van. But what I dont understand is should i reuse the water that I had taken out, keep some of it and make the rest, or completely make new water for the tank and acclimate the fish into it?

indydog1
08/31/2008, 03:26 PM
use what you have first. test it after everything is back in place. and if it is out of whack then do a water change.

Rae C.
08/31/2008, 04:01 PM
Use the water you brought the rocks in, not the water the fish were in (too much poo). When we moved our tank, we left the sand in and enough water to cover the sand. I'd suggest sliding a sheet of plywood under it to carry it by. That will take the stress off the tank. Use wheels, if ya got em, to move the tank.

Good luck.

fatdaddy
08/31/2008, 06:21 PM
+1 on everybody's responses.

I'd add this is an opportunity to get the tank cleaned up. If you need new caulk, etc, this would be the time to do it.

Playa-1
08/31/2008, 10:36 PM
I would empty the tank completely.

Move your live rock and sand into 5gal buckets with tank water.

Live stock goes into either individual bags or in a large container with a powerhead and heater run from an inverter from the cigarette lighter. Have water premixed at the designated location with matching temp, salinity, and ph.

Keep as much water as possible but it's not necessary to save it all.

I would break the tank down, load it and the livestock, move it and reset it up all in one special trip. Likely before the rest of the move even got started.

I would clean or replace the substrate depending on how old it is.

I'm sure it will be a real pain in the arse, but Reef tanks aren't the best choice of hobbies for a band of gypsies.

:lol:

rhiggsbear
08/31/2008, 11:08 PM
I bought a stocked 60 gal tank (6 fish, 50 lbs of live rock and various corals - no sps) and stand about a month ago that was 150 miles from home. Here is what I did:

I setup two tanks, a 20 and a 30 long. I also filled the 20 with fresh saltwater and started two 5 gal buckets of fresh saltwater.

I bought a Rubbermaid Brute 32 gal garbage can and together with 3 empty salt buckets with lids and a couple 5 gal water containers, I headed over.

All fish (6) went into plastic bags with battery power airpumps and airstones. These bags were placed into small containers to keep them up-right and placed in an icechest inside my truck.

The liverock with corals were placed in the salt buckets with tank water. The remaining LR went into the garbage can with more tank water. I filled water containers with tank water and he had 3 more 5 gal water containers that we filled.

We packed the stand and tank first, leaving the sand and a little water in the tank. Then everything else.

Away I went - 3 hours later, I was home.

Some of the rock with corals and the fish went into the 20 gal. I washed the sand with fresh salt water and place it into the 30 along with the rest of the rock and corals. Filled that tank with some of the old tank water and some fresh water. The sump critters and stuff went into a 10 gal tank with an airstone.

Everything survived fine and in fact, it's mostly all still there in the three tanks as I decided to build a different stand.

SharkBait_Mtl
09/01/2008, 07:51 AM
I just moved into my house about 3 weeks ago... about 30 mins away

I have a 90g tank witha 60g refuge/sump.

I moved the tank a week before I moved myself in..

as everyone said empty the tank completly. If you are going to keep your sand I would suggest cleaning it with the last 5-10g of water that is left in the tank while u are draining it. I also put a piece of eggcrate the size of the bottom of the tank so that way the sand a water dont shift around as much while transporting.

Also like everyone has said put all your rocks, livestock and corals in rubbermaid bins or buckets... do not reuse the water teh fish were in (too much waste) and since your rocks are all out of the system now would be a good time to give them a little cleaning if you had some detrius or cyano stuck to them and of course do not reuse this water either.

I had premixed 3 garbage bins (25g each) of water 2 days before to be ready for the move. those were the 1st to go in the tank when it was setup, then I added all the "good" water that I transported. I would suggest making more water after u empty your premade water just in case u see that the bins/buckets u transported your rock was way to "dirty" to use. being prepared is the best thing you can do.

since I was only 30 mins away all the livestock was moved without a heater or powerhead... but as soon as I arrived to my house I plugged in a heater and powerhead into all the buckets that had livestock in it.

it took me and 3 good friends from 8AM (start emptying) to 10:30 PM ( added the fish and corals after aclimating by drip method) to move and setup the tank. I used my dads Toyota Sienna to move everything(3 trips). 2 frinds stayed at my house to start leveling the stand and put water in the tank while I went back and forth with another.

1st trip - tank, stand, livestock and as many buckets that I can fit
2nd trip - sump, lights, more buckets
3rd trip - everything else (powerheads, food, books, salt, etc...) and of course the pizza and beer :D

hope this helps

:D :rollface: :rollface: :rollface: