PDA

View Full Version : Coral banded shrimp eating all my good stuff!

fasteddie99
08/31/2008, 07:34 PM
I've had my shrimp now for a couple months and I just busted him tonight eating one of my christmas tree worms. He has already eaten ever brittle worm that came with a piece of LR, I caught him a few weeks ago with a blue legged hermit crab in his clutch, and one of my feather dusters popped his crown off about 2 weeks ago and the other one has all of his "dusters" nibbled on and I am blaming this all on this shrimp. Anyone else heard of this? Is there something else I could feed him to maybe keep him off my cleaners? I would like to buy a bunch more hermits but I am afraid I will be just feeding "Jaques" an expensive meal again.

mike tv
08/31/2008, 07:38 PM
i've read theyre famous for it....

LeslieH
08/31/2008, 08:00 PM
People buy CBS precisely in order to get rid of bristle worms not realizing that these shrimp can be very aggressive towards other critters as well. It might be time to trade it back to the LFS or to a fellow reefer.

ser_renely
08/31/2008, 08:14 PM
mines totally cool with my worms....hmmmm

FranktheTankTx
08/31/2008, 08:15 PM
Almost every website will tell you the CBS is reef safe and peaceful. I strongly disagree. I had one decimate my dwarf zebra hermits and porcelain crabs. I suspect he was the reason my Nemo came up missing later.

They are bad shrimp in my opinion.

raen
08/31/2008, 08:19 PM
I put my fire shrimp in the tank, and the CBS ate him by morning. $40.00 meal for the little turd! I wasn't too sad when he met his maker.

ser_renely
08/31/2008, 08:27 PM
Man, I have only had one, and he is just a trip, doesn't really bother anything....at least I have ever seen. Maybe he is too small, about 2.5 inches(body)

guess I will start watching him....

paraletho
08/31/2008, 09:26 PM
Mine tried to kill my peppermints. He got one the other jumped innto the overflow and ended up in the sump. He has been getting real brave lately and hanging out under a ledge in the daytime and snapping at the fish as they swim by. He is growing fast so he has to be eating something. Shed 3 times in 2 mths.

xioxxio
08/31/2008, 09:35 PM
I suggest you feed your CBS, the poor little thing is starving