PDA

View Full Version : new tank new rocks BLEACH smell???

fishboyy
09/01/2008, 11:21 AM
yesterday i bought a used 125 gallon tank and it came with some dead live rock so i took that also so today when i set the tank up it smells like bleach i think it may be from the rocks..... How can i fix this?? Also the tank just has sand and rocks and freshwater in it now

Logzor
09/01/2008, 11:46 AM
Take your rock out, put it into a large clean trashcan (brute), add saltwater, heater, and powerhead. Do waterchanges when the water gets cloudy or shows that a lot of junk is coming off. Repeat until water no long gets nasty. This may take a month to do.

Otherwise you have to cycle all of that in your tank.

Others may want to chime in and correct me or present other options. I think cooking this rock is the best option, the sand as well.

Macimage
09/01/2008, 03:36 PM
Dead live rock that has been bleached does not need to be cooked or cycled, as there is nothing left to cycle or cook.

I would add declorinator to it and stir up the sand to get it all rinsed. If you want to keep corals, I would then replace all the saltwater in the tank after the bleach is gone and run some carbon filtration.

Joyce

Sk8r
09/01/2008, 03:39 PM
Prime brand or the like: dechlorinator. Do let it soak a lengthy while in dechlorinator until that smell goes away. It's also good for getting bleach off your hands if you've been working with it. For this kind of contaminant there is a really easy fix, just do let it soak long enough to go deep, like maybe 3 days.

fishboyy
09/01/2008, 06:23 PM
Thanks guys, I just boiled all of it now i will let it dry in the sun and then do a soak and let it sun again so i think that sould work. Thanks connor

ChuckLawson
09/01/2008, 07:22 PM
You might want to consider a cheap swimming pool chlorine test kit to check the water after your soak; better safe than sorry....