PDA

View Full Version : Snorkel Brands

Tetsugen
09/01/2008, 06:43 PM
I'm looking to get into snorkeling seriously and was wondering what brands I should be looking for when it comes to equipment. Thanks!

twoodall
09/02/2008, 12:39 PM
I really don't think brand is too much of an issue. You are more interested in features, which most brands will have the same features. If my thinking is correct there are very few snorkel manufacturers, but many different brand names.

Features you should consider are, a dry or semi dry snorkel. The dry snorkel will pretty much seal up when submerged. The semi dry snorkel really is just a snorkel with a diverter to protect against water in conditions with some wave action.

The larger the diameter of tubing the more capacity it will have to deliver air, but most of that is the same across the brand spectrum.

Good Luck!

Jay180reef
09/02/2008, 09:53 PM
Ya, don't worry about brands.
I bought a Mares snorkel (they make excellent scuba gear) but that snorkel sucks. Too narrow of a pipe, purge valve leaks, the dry mechanism broke when I stepped on it (lol). I went back to using my old no-name snorkel.

dougie
09/02/2008, 10:50 PM
aqualung,mares,tusa. 3 great brands. IMO

Aqualung being my first choice.

eland
09/06/2008, 05:28 AM
The main consideration is fit. Make sure whatever you buy is comfortable and after that you can spend as little or as much as you want

Elan L.
09/06/2008, 08:17 PM
I wouldnt go with a dry snorkel, when you get deeper they will create a suction in your mouth that can get annoying (my tung always gets sucked in!). i think you sould go with a semi dry.

jimgldn
10/02/2008, 07:05 PM
Semi dry here!

ryan115
10/08/2008, 05:37 AM
are you just looking for the snorkel or are you needing mask and fins too? If you do need fins I would not recommend split fins for snorkeling. They are wonderful when fully submerged and diving, but at the surface are fairly ineffective. Mask is also a matter of personal preference, fit is going to be the most important thing here, with style coming in a far second.