PDA

View Full Version : Flatworm Tank Crash

Winchester
09/02/2008, 07:09 AM
Hello my tank has crashed from, too many flatworm die off. My ammonia,nitrite levels are high of course. I have been doing water changes as fast as my ro fills the 30gallon pail. I have been using carbon as well. I have done 25gallon x4 on a 250gallon system, plus changed my carbon 3 times. I have removed all my dead sps witch is all, and dead fish. The big question is there anything else I can do???? I have 3 fish left and breathing heavy, should I remove them or is it better to not stress them out more by moving them.??

any help would be great

spleify
09/02/2008, 07:23 AM
Wow sorry to hear about you're losses, that is the worry about treating for flat worms.
I don't have any direct experience with what you are going through, but I would think that what you are doing is the best means to eradicate the problem. Keep up on the water changes, and how are you running the carbon? Is it just in a bag in the sump, or in some type of reactor.

Spleify

Winchester
09/02/2008, 07:51 AM
Hi spleify thanks for the kind words, its a sad weekend for me. I'm using 3 aqua clear 300 and 1aqua clear 500 filters to apply carbon. Does anyone know how long would it take for the carbon to be exhausted in theses conditions?

Winchester
09/02/2008, 11:06 AM
Any more advice???

Jay03GT
09/02/2008, 05:10 PM
sorry to hear man. Maybe getting an air stone in there to help oxygenate the water will help.

Macimage
09/02/2008, 10:25 PM
I'd move the three remaining fish to a temporary tank or rubber bin from Home Depot or Lowes. Just be sure to add a powerhead for oxygen and a heater if necessary. If you could rinse the flatworms off some of the live rock with saltwater, that would be good to add for filtration.

Good luck!
Joyce

Winchester
09/03/2008, 08:10 PM
I removed my other fish, they just couldnt make it. I guess its a right off except for my live rock and a couple of LPS corals. Now I just have to get the Ammonia and Nitrite down. On the test kit I have the reading are 0.50(ammonia) and 0.3mg/l(nitrite). I have a couple of questions. The best way to get theses levels down is?(besides water changes and running carbon) and can you over carbon and over water change?The other question when can I even think about restocking.

Thanks for the help

lightdir
09/03/2008, 08:58 PM
have you tried running purigen.

Winchester
09/04/2008, 07:29 AM
I have not ran purigen, I'm not sure what that is, I will research it.Any one else agree to try this?