PDA

View Full Version : Needed to Resolve.

term_paint
09/02/2008, 08:13 AM
I have done a ton of reading but still have got some questions maybe someone can clear up...I want to do it right the first time and not spend money twice.

I have a 55 gallon Bowfront tank..... I am going to do fish and live rock to start and then i will get into some corals........

1) Filtration - The tank came with a penguin emperor bio wheel filter....Is this sufficient....I was going to add a wet dry filter but then i got a message saying these are not needed...They suggested to add a sump?? What is the drifference between a sump and a wet dry filter?? Bottom line what is really needed.....Penguin / Wet Dry/ Sump/ Canister??????

2) What is the best substrate to use. Everyone says to use a fine substrate can someone put a name or brand on that......

3) Heaters - I am waiting to place the order for two 100w stealth heaters. Are these the correct size and a good heater.....

4) Power heads - I am waiting to place the order for two maxi jets 1200's is this sufficient.....

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.....Thanks

crvz
09/02/2008, 11:40 AM
1) the biowheel is insufficient for a reef tank, and I wouldnt recommend one. a sump is a wet/dry, in my opinion, but wet/dry often involve some sort of bio-ball solution. I'd not recommend that, either, for much of the same reason I dont recommend a biowheel (they don't remove anything from the water column, and can often be a place to trap wastes, which can lead to nutrient issues). No canister, either, same reason. I'd recommend a sump (which can be any water storage device, usually a smaller tank that fits under the display) and a decent protein skimmer. Look at something like the Octopus NW150 for your tank. However, a lot of this is moot if you don't have a reef ready tank or overflow and a way to get water up and down from the display.

2) I use no substrate, again stemming on my fear of trapped nutrients (though I'm a bit more phobic than most ;)), but would recommend an aragonite based substrate (like this (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=C-ARAG-SELT&Category_Code=Substrates)... don't waste your money on the packaged live stuff).

3) your heater size should be fine, something I seldom think of in my setup. i guess it doesnt get cold enough in texas.

4) those maxijets would be okay, but look at the maxijet mods. sureflow, I think i the name? Here's a link (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AF-SF1600&Category_Code=). will definitely be better than just a couple of the pumps, and at not too much of an increased cost.

good luck!

Sk8r
09/02/2008, 11:48 AM
Read the two * threads at the top of this forum and it will give you tons of info you haven't even asked yet. ;)

Sump/skimmer/no filter is the best way to go with a reef. I use a substrate. I have a refugium. A HOB overflow box can get water to the sump, and a return hose brings it back. Trying to run corals without a sump would be a challenge for an experienced reefer: I very much recommend having one for a multitude of reasons that are in those * threads above.