PDA

View Full Version : Glazed Ceramics and Saltwater

Aqua_DHMO_Tech
09/02/2008, 01:29 PM
Hello everyone, I have a 75 gallon saltwater aquarium with a few fish and coral in there. I have one "fake" decoration in the tank, which is an undersized ceramic shot glass designed to look like an Easter Island statue, that I made. It has been glazed with "dinnerware safe" glazes, but I'm still concerned if it is possible to leach anything that may be harmful to the tank inhabitants. I was thinking of removing it, but recently my rose BTA decided to take refuge in it (it definitely looks cool) . Hopefully someone has good insight on ceramics and glazes, because I would like to leave it in the tank, but only if the verdict is that it's safe. If you think I should remove it, how should I go about removing the anemone, as his base has a secure hold inside the cavity of the shot glass. Thanks for your help in advance.

boxfishpooalot
09/02/2008, 02:33 PM
IIRC its safe. But theres a possiblity for anything to leach ions. PVC pipe does, acrylic even glass(silica). I dont think it will be toxic. However if something becomes a problem, take it out.