PDA

View Full Version : Good or bad idea to let algae grow on back of tank?

ser_renely
09/02/2008, 05:58 PM
Its not just hair algae, but I let it grow back there since it doesn't bother me. Is this a bad idea other then aesthetic?

Playa-1
09/02/2008, 10:31 PM
It's ok to let it ride if it doesn't bother you.

Anton M
09/02/2008, 10:38 PM
As long as you feel you can control it...

filippo
09/02/2008, 10:45 PM
i see tanks with beautiful purple coralline growing all over, including on glass (sides and bacnk). i understand it's a matter of good water quality and plenty of calcium, but how will it grow if it's covered with algae?

should we scrape the algae off giving room for coralline to grow? what if algae grows back before coralline does?

filippo
09/03/2008, 12:28 PM
anyone?: )

KarlBob
09/03/2008, 01:13 PM
I think the coralline will establish itself in time, whether or not you scrape off the other algae. From what I'm told, most tanks go through a cycle of various algae species. As different species come and go, the coralline should have plenty of opportunities to colonize the back wall.

An alternative that some people use is to establish a colony of green star polyps on the back wall. If you went this route, you would just need to ensure that rocks with other corals are not touching the back wall, because green star polyps can overgrow some corals.

Playa-1
09/03/2008, 01:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13280281#post13280281 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by filippo
i see tanks with beautiful purple coralline growing all over, including on glass (sides and bacnk). i understand it's a matter of good water quality and plenty of calcium, but how will it grow if it's covered with algae?

should we scrape the algae off giving room for coralline to grow? what if algae grows back before coralline does?

It a matter of personal preference. I personally like coralline on the rocks but don't really like to see it on the glass. I prefer clean glass.

ser_renely
09/03/2008, 02:55 PM
guess I will see what look I want to sport :)

thanks

kudora
09/03/2008, 04:22 PM
i let it grow on the back glass, but have been thinking of scraping it since its so much purple in the tank since all my rock has coraline on it also.