PDA

View Full Version : mushrooms

Hungriee
09/02/2008, 09:24 PM
I've had my a stripe green mushroom for about 2 wks from liveaquaria, it has expanded from itsy tiny to small, how long will it take to get to at least 1" in diameter?

Anton M
09/02/2008, 10:30 PM
Once the mushroom gets accustomed to your parameters, you wont be able to stop it from growing, keep in in lower light and it should start expending once it gets over the stress from moving.

bbyatv
09/05/2008, 01:21 PM
They do grow fast don't they?

Bruce

Runner
09/05/2008, 01:48 PM
They grow fast. In low-light and low-flow, they expand to become a lot larger as well. If they don't like their location, I have seen them let go of their hold on the rock and float away.

rogergolf66
09/05/2008, 02:04 PM
I will disagree to the low light. they will do good in low light, but I had a mushroom and zoa tank with low light for 2 years with very little growth. then I upgraded to 2 150W MH in the 75 gallon the shromms when crazy in growth.

yes to the low flow.

Runner
09/05/2008, 02:06 PM
I was mostly referring to the end-size rather than growth rates. They seem to be getting larger in my low-flow, low-light tank than they ever did in my high-flow, high-light larger tank. But the flow may be the more deciding factor.

I have witnessed faster growth, though, in dirtier water. When my skimmer broke for about 3 weeks before I replaced it, my red mushrooms (which were not growing before then) took off and cover a good 1/6 of the back of my tank with rows of small mushrooms (and scattered them everywhere to be a plague of the nooks and crannies in my tank). Nitrates got up over 30 at that time. They stopped spreading after nitrates went back down to 0.

rogergolf66
09/05/2008, 04:10 PM
agreed but high light low flow wow they will take off!!!