PDA

View Full Version : so brine shrimp are bad, fair enough. but mysid are too big. what next?

kolosy
09/03/2008, 07:29 AM
i've got a 6 line, a tailspot blenny and (hopefully) a yellow watchman. i have frozen omega-3 brine shrimp, and i know that's junk food, so i bought mysis shrimp. problem is that the tailspot can't fit one in its mouth. what should i do instead?

Aadler
09/03/2008, 07:54 AM
nutramar prawn ova the stuff is the bomb, plus they are an RC sponser.

Best to find local d/t it is a frozen food, but HIGHLY recommend. Coral love it as well. I have gotten a copperband and a golden dwarf angle to eat the stuff within one week of them being added to my tank. The copperband even eats it out of the water column now... (HIGHLY recommend).

Amazon4
09/03/2008, 08:05 AM
You can use a grater on the mysis (while frozen) that you all ready have.

You can also soak the brine in selcon or vitachem to give it some sort of nutritional value. Then mix it in with the mysis. That way he can eat something, just not the best nutritionally.

There are some brands of mysis out there in cubes that are pretty small bits, too. Just can't think of the brand at the moment.

Hope this helps.

Saltz Creep
09/03/2008, 08:26 AM
LIVE brine is better than frozen because you can gut load them with plankton and Selcon before feeding them to fish.

kolosy
09/03/2008, 08:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13281505#post13281505 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Aadler
nutramar prawn ova the stuff is the bomb, plus they are an RC sponser.

Best to find local d/t it is a frozen food, but HIGHLY recommend. Coral love it as well. I have gotten a copperband and a golden dwarf angle to eat the stuff within one week of them being added to my tank. The copperband even eats it out of the water column now... (HIGHLY recommend).

dt's what? phyto?

IslandCrow
09/03/2008, 09:03 AM
Mysis come in varying sizes. Some that I've gotten are smaller than adult brine shrimp. You just need to look around. If the fish are real small, you may be able to use Cyclopeeze as well.

Sk8r
09/03/2008, 09:13 AM
The tailspot really shouldn't be eating much meat at all. He's a combtooth blenny, an algae eater. Get some Formula Two frozen cube for him and quarter the cubes, granted you don't have any other algae eaters...though probably the yellow watchman will help: they also contain a bit of squid.

Aadler
09/03/2008, 09:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13281657#post13281657 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kolosy
dt's what? phyto?

Not sure what you are asking, run a search on google for nutramar prawn eggs ova. It is not a DT's brand at least to my knowledge, not that i ever checked.