PDA

View Full Version : Can DC8's be daisy chained, somehow, 15 feet apart?

edsbeaker
09/03/2008, 10:19 AM
I am moving my sump to the basement. If I'm reading correctly, it sounds like the phone cord between 2 DC8 boxes can only be a maximum of 10 ft. apart. My basement DC8 will need to be daisy chained at least 15 ft away from the 1st DC8.. Is there a way to make this work with that distance?

Would adding a DC4 box between the two, so that each one is chained together using two 10 foot phone cords instead of one 15 ft. work?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

ckuhndog77
09/03/2008, 01:07 PM
Well it's not supported, meaning reliability is not guaranteed, you can buy phone wire and the little plastic ends and "make your own" longer wires. A friend of mine and I did it for both of our ACIII units. You just need to look at the standard issued ACIII wire that comes with it and create same wire pattern when you make new one. I seem to recall that you flip order wire goes into plastic plug from L to R on each end. I use a wire about 15-20 feet to control DC-8 in back room away from tank.

HTH
Craig

svb57
09/03/2008, 02:51 PM
I had to replace my wire and I purchased standard four wire phone cord and it worked with no issues todate.

edsbeaker
09/03/2008, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the responses.
I would be a bit concerned if reliability wasn't guaranteed.

Am I interpreting correctly from Neptune that the system would be reliable if I just added another DC4 or DC8 in the chain and each one was only 10 ft. max? By doing this the third DC8 in the chain could be as much as 20 ft. away from the controller. Is this correct?

jthao
09/03/2008, 11:33 PM
I have regular phone cords..... as I remember, my cords are longer than 10ft. and it works fine.

ZippyBoy
09/07/2008, 07:31 AM
I just went through the same exercize. My experience was that a 12 ft cord would work and anything longer did not. I solved my problem by using extension cords to the pumps I was controlling outside of the range.

I found the the controller was not consistently sending the commands to the DC8. Drove me nuts for a few hours until I shortened the cord.

I'm using an older model of the AC III. Not sure how it works with the new ones.

dougchambers
09/07/2008, 12:02 PM
For the best results, use twisted pair cable. I run a 30', 18', and 1' cable between my DC8s, DC4HD, and Lunar controller without any issues. I built a buddy a 45' twisted pair cable with Cat5e cable and he ran it for 3 years without any problems.

Curt is very cautious about using longer cables, but many of us have been doing it reliably. Personally, I wouldn't do it with standard phone cord, but your results may vary.

-Doug

Roy G. Biv
09/07/2008, 07:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13306860#post13306860 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dougchambers
For the best results, use twisted pair cable. I run a 30', 18', and 1' cable between my DC8s, DC4HD, and Lunar controller without any issues. I built a buddy a 45' twisted pair cable with Cat5e cable and he ran it for 3 years without any problems.

Curt is very cautious about using longer cables, but many of us have been doing it reliably. Personally, I wouldn't do it with standard phone cord, but your results may vary.

-Doug

Ditto.. I use cat5. No issues.

clp
09/08/2008, 06:58 PM
The max recommend length between the AquaController and the direct connect box is 10 feet. If you are going to use a longer cable then this be sure to use twisted pair cabling. Pins 1 & 2 should be 1 pair, and pins 3 & 4 the other pair. Many customers have made their own longer cables, and they work fine. But we can’t guarantee it operation since the cable length is out of spec.

Curt