PDA

View Full Version : Balancing KH/Alk, CA and Mg

Haggis Catcher
09/03/2008, 11:46 AM
Hi, Recently i discovered that my reef was mag deficient although the Ca and KH were acceptable but unstable, I could only get a hold of a liquid mag supplement but started adding it daily to increase the levels.

I am slowly but surely getting there with mg nearly at the target range, and I hope to keep the three above mentioned perameters in check from now on.

I am hoping to see a bloom in my zoas which started reducing their numbers. Hopefully the Mg was the problem

Hopefully all will stabilize now, any words of wisdom?

Genetics
09/03/2008, 12:26 PM
Small nano-reefs are difficult to care for because of how quickly levels can fluctuate. If Mg is continuously an issue, you may want to look at a different salt mix as they are the usual reason low Mg levels.

Haggis Catcher
09/03/2008, 12:30 PM
I think my best bet is to monitor these perams often to stay on top of them. I am glad that the mag supplement I got is actually working. I initially had a drop in Mg before it started rising.

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/03/2008, 01:18 PM
What is the magnesium level?

You may need to add a lot more than a recommended dose to make a substantial boost. It takes a lot more than you'd think to boost magnesium substantially.

Haggis Catcher
09/03/2008, 01:27 PM
Hi, at its lowest point it got to 1050ppm, after days of adding the supplement I now have it at 1200ppm. It was at 1230 last night but I just tested again half an hour ago and back to 1200, I have added another dose. I am aware that using liquid mag supps that I shouldnt try and raise more than 100ppm at atime due to possible impurities in the solution, sulfide etc.

Other perameters as of half an hour ago!
Sg 1.025
Ca 470ppm
Mg 1200ppm
KH/ALK 9.6dKH

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/03/2008, 01:33 PM
OK, seems like you are on the right track. :)