PDA

View Full Version : Mag 9.5 Questions

Ĉonic
09/03/2008, 03:41 PM
Hey all,

I recently bought a new Mag 9.5 pump for my closed loop, but there are some problems:

The biggest problem is it's noisy. Even if I run it with no plumbing attached in a big pool of water, it makes "crackling" sounds - it sounds like cavitation, I mean kind of like getting a mylar balloon and crinkling it. Kind of like it's sucking in air. If I block the flow, so the impeller turns but doesn't do anything, the sound goes away.

I've taken it apart a few times and closely inspected everything, and I can find no problems. It's not sucking in air because it does this even completely submerged.

Second, the first time I took it apart (in response to this problem), the washer that goes between the impeller and the rubber impeller end came off, and now I'm not positive which side it goes on. I only have washer, so first of all, should I have one on each end? Maybe that's the problem? I've put it back on the blade end of the impeller because I found some pics of one online and it looked like it had a washer there, but could somebody confirm?

I've had people tell me it should run quiet like any other powerhead, just a humming noise, I don't mind if the humming is louder than normal, but the crackling sound, is going to drive me crazy. Son of Sam crazy. Can someone just help out my sanity by telling me of your experience with a mag 9.5?

Thanks in advance :)

AZDesertRat
09/03/2008, 03:50 PM
There are much better pumps than the Mag series, Ocean Runner and Eheim being my top two choices. Lower power consumption, greater head capability, cooler running and much much quieter. I have 4 OR pumps in my systems and they are almost silent even externally, best f all they cost 1/2 what an Eheim does and are slightly more power efficient.

Ĉonic
09/03/2008, 04:00 PM
Yeah, I'm kinda stuck with the mag for now. This is the second pump I've bought for this closed loop, and if I have to buy a third I'm going to break things, I mean, even more than usual.

AZDesertRat
09/03/2008, 07:15 PM
How is the closed loop plumbed? Is the suction side of the pump 100% unrestricted? You might try adding a ball valve to the discharge side or in someway restrict the flow like with 1/2" LocLine instead of 3/4" etc to add some head to the pump. Cavitation usualy goes away or is reduced when you add a restriction or dicharge head and open the suction side up completely.
Other things that help vibration and noise are using a short piece of flexible tubing on the discharge before going to rigid PVC to break up vibration and sound transmission. Another is set the pump on a mouse pad or plastic bag full of sand or substrate.

OliverM3
09/03/2008, 07:34 PM
I would take it back since you say it's noisy even in a pool of water without the close loop. I run a 9.5 on my chiller that's 11 feet away from my sump and it's only slightly louder then my Eheim 1262 that I use for the return.
The main loud noise I get from the mag is the loud clunk when I turn the system off and on.
Other then that it just hums.

Ĉonic
09/04/2008, 01:03 AM
Yeah, it's noisy without any plumbing. I'm thinking if the new cover doesn't do anything (I don't expect it to), I'll return it. Anyone have an answer on the washer question, ie, how many it should have on the impeller, and if just one, which end does it go onto?

rrcg50
09/04/2008, 06:04 AM
i have 2 or for sale 3500 or 2500. i like them but they are big.

Ĉonic
09/04/2008, 09:41 AM
Hmm. 2 whats for sale?

hairyman1
11/11/2008, 10:12 PM
Mags and other pumps where the impeller fits loosely to the housing that's connected to the magnet benefit from a small o ring placed over the housing. then slip the impeller over the o ring for a snug and quiet fit. Now the impeller will have a vibration free snug fit and will also not spin freely with your finger. This will not affect startup problems so don't be concerned about it. Just try it and hear the difference. As long as it was manufactured correctly there's no need for a new pump.

nozleman
11/11/2008, 10:59 PM
I run dual mag 9.5 on my 144, they make no noise and have been running for over a year and a half. These pumps are awsome! Never had an issue, that noise is not right! Take it back!

mg426
11/11/2008, 11:50 PM
Something dont sound right to me. Mags are noisy there is no getting around that but what you are describing sounds excessive.