PDA

View Full Version : phosphate in live rock?

MarcoPolo
09/04/2008, 04:48 AM
I've read several times that if a tank has been exposed to high phospate contents - live rock can get 'impregnated' with it and release back into the tank over time causing alge outbreaks. How can I measure/detect if my live rock is 'clean' or saturated with phosphate, and is there anything I can do (without destroying the landscape) to clean up the phosphate residual in the rocks?

Michael
09/04/2008, 04:54 AM
under the circumstances all you can do is to run a phosphate material which will help to get rid of it and make sure you monitor the phos, every time you see some change the media, also try to make sure your make up water is top notch in quality and it should get there

MarcoPolo
09/04/2008, 05:05 AM
thanks for prompt answer. I do run phosphate material - which I normally leave in the sump, and replace it every other month. Is it ok to leave it there for prolonged periods of time (like I do), or should it be only kept for a few days and then removed as it can be detrimental for the corals?

Michael
09/04/2008, 05:09 AM
a phosban material can be used all the time, i certainely do, you need to monitor phos, its hard to measure, but if you do get some showing up then change the media for new as the old is probably exhausted, once the phos is eventually gone the media can last for 2-3 months