PDA

View Full Version : what corals with this light???

agreeive?fish
09/04/2008, 10:11 AM
Tank is a 29g.. light will be 130watts total 65 watts daylight (10k) and 65 watts anitic

considering mushrooms of various types.

considering polyps of various kinds.

considering other softies of various kinds

all corals would be BEGINNER LEVEL corals from live aquaria nano and beginer coral packs...

will this light be enough?????

roxy25
09/04/2008, 10:12 AM
yes

Reefer07
09/04/2008, 10:18 AM
You can keep all those and plenty of LPS. I had that light on my 29 for the longest time. I grew acans, frogspawn, etc. etc. It's not a bad light for a PC.
Good luck.

agreeive?fish
09/04/2008, 10:33 AM
Thanks.. i would rather buy fish but the wife is making me do her reef tank (or i get to sleep out side with out a dog house)

agreeive?fish
09/04/2008, 10:39 AM
i know hob filters lack a lot to be desired but thats what i will beable to do for this tank and i will be running 2 of them which will stretch clear across the back wall of the tank and they are rated for 30-60g tanks (not sure of flow rates as i have had these for many many eons.. ) and currently have one korola #1 so how much more flow do you think i will need ( ps any equipment/livestock that is put in this tank will go into a 175g bow front when we move in the near future and the 175 is sitting in my garage at this moment)

Reefer07
09/04/2008, 11:53 AM
Sounds like you may be good.

SLOreefer
09/04/2008, 03:26 PM
I would stick with what you've got now because the equipment will be very different from what you need on a 175 and probably wont transfer....sounds like you are off to a decent start.

agreeive?fish
09/04/2008, 03:57 PM
well i have to get a light as i have no light at all for this tank and if i buy any more korlas they can go in the 175g

billie6227
09/04/2008, 10:57 PM
I have a Koralia 3, and a Koralia 1 in my 29 gallon and they work great. I also have a 130 watt pc fixture and I have mushrooms, zoas, frogspawn, xenia, and toadstool.

weimers75
09/05/2008, 11:42 AM
Just a suggestion - but if cost is a concern I would buy corals from local reefers or fish stores. Liveaquaria is a great place and I have bought fish and hard-to-find items from them, but for the corals you're speaking of you'll find plenty in your area. Some people may even give you some for free as these tend to be fast growers.

Since you're planning on upgrading, do tons of research now for your lights. They're the single most expensive piece of equipment for you reef, and one of the most important. If you only plan on keeping softies, you can go pc's, vho, etc....but if in the long term you want sps you'll need either t-5's or mh. Also, if you have a local forum you may be able to pick these up used and save $.

PS - be happy your wife wants a reef (which can house a few fish by the way so you can both be happy)...my husband thinks this is a rediculous hobby;)

agreeive?fish
09/05/2008, 12:55 PM
weimers75

Cost is not really the concern iam more concerned about wasting money on equipment that WONT transfer over to the 175g bow when we move.. i dont like to waste money.. i dont mind spending it just dont want to waste it

ill be lucky to find 5 people who even have attempted corals in this one horse town(verry ill on death bed one horse town) and the one lfs i would buy from is so out there on thier prices i would have to win the lotto jack pot to buy a coral from them(no cometition for 2.5 hours minium in any direction,,north south east west and all points inbetween....)

softies is as far as iam going on corals.. i have been fighting the wife for almost 6 years on doing corals.. i dont want to but she is DEMANDING them.. i have been researching lights for the 175g but iam dragging my heels as much as i can( i have the 175g but i still have to build the stand as i wont buy them cheap thrown together ugly premade ones and i cant do that until after we move) and she told me yesterday.. get me a coral tank going or iam just gonna go buy some corals and then you will have to doit .. so to keep from getting something iam not prepared for i got to do the small tank for now.... because iam not going to spen 500 bucks on a light then in 2 months turn around and spend a couple thousand on lights again and have a 500 buck light collecting dust

weimers75
09/05/2008, 03:10 PM
Looks like you're stuck buying online then;) The good thing about that is the choices - much more so than most lfs. Try the sponsors from this site too, tons of good online stores. Good luck:)