PDA

View Full Version : Bad purchase

reefrf
09/04/2008, 12:08 PM
I was at a LfS whom specializes in reef fishes & corals & the person suggested a Moon wrasse & told me it ws reef safe. Well..... bad decision on my part & I didn't investigate. Everything I read is that it is NOT reef safe & will eat small fish, snails etc...

Do you agree? Should I try to catch him? I wondering if anyone has suggestions of the best way to catch him. I am not going to remove my aquascape.

Thanks, Ron

SDguy
09/04/2008, 12:59 PM
Thalassoma lunare? Correct, will eat small fish and inverts like shrimps and possibly snails. Also VERY active, large and can be aggressive. Eye pickers, IME :(

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/images/490_lunarewrassespiderfist

Bmgrocks
09/04/2008, 01:05 PM
Smaller individuals can be placed in semi aggressive reef's but as stated can and will eat your small fish and inverts. I have seen large adults placed in reefs with suitable tank mates, and they fare quite well.

those reefs just never had any snails, crabs or shrimp lol...

best of luckto you, if you would like to keep your clean upcrew, or what remains of it i would remove the wrasse..

agreeive?fish
09/04/2008, 01:17 PM
and they can become mean.. mine is not bad but my lfs has one labled not for sale due to the fact he has been retuned 2 times for killing EVERY THING in the tank the fisrt time the lights go out for the night...(mine is in a fowlr tank)

anbosu
09/04/2008, 03:31 PM
Mine gets along great with the tank mates but has single handedly eaten every snail in the tank. I can definitely see it taking out some smaller fish too, since it can eat full size bait shrimp easily.

stunreefer
09/05/2008, 06:49 AM
Those fish are great fun to dive with, nothing but trouble in your tank IME though!