PDA

View Full Version : Rose Milli - Weird Polyp Extension

phoenix001
09/04/2008, 01:26 PM
Can anyone tell me what's happening here? the pics are from 2 seperate Rose Milli frags. I've seen them do this before for some period of time and then back to normal. My guess is they are trying to snare food from the water column, but I just don't know and want to rule out a problem.

Thanks

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/46886Picture_026.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/46886Picture_024.jpg

murphreef
09/04/2008, 01:29 PM
those rnt polyps thats its fillaments i dont know how to say the correct full name but often they do that when stressed especially how much i see there...

sometimes mine do it during feeding but only a few strands...

check your water sometimes it will result in the tissue dying in those areas and slowly the coral dying away

mjstover
09/04/2008, 01:33 PM
I agree If this is not happening when it is just feeding or night time then it is a good sign of stress

x2uranium
09/04/2008, 02:09 PM
sorry offtopic stover clear your PM box

x2uranium
09/04/2008, 02:10 PM
Ok, Now back on topic one of my Rose millie's does this when it gets stressed but goes away in a day or so.

ScallopKing
09/04/2008, 02:24 PM
They are stressed and those tips/branches will die off if it continues to do so. That is a sign of the water quality conditions and too much organic build up. I have had this before...for a long time i dealt with this. Water changes, water changes, water changes. IMHO, SPS should really never do this based on my experience now.

chewie
09/04/2008, 02:36 PM
Messential Filaments. SkallopKing is correct.

phoenix001
09/04/2008, 03:42 PM
I do weekly water changes with Tropic Marine Pro Reef. My ALK right now is 11dkh, Mg between 12-1300 and my calc is 425. I have a blue milli that is not doing this. My ph hovers around 7.9-8.0 but does drop at night to around 7.7.

To be honest, I have been struggling with maintaining Alk, but lately I have kept around 10-11. I wonder if my lower mg reading is the problem?

kingsland
09/04/2008, 05:11 PM
I have two milis that exhibit this behaviour. I've also seen my staghorn extend its filaments. It has always been in response to food added to the tank.

ScallopKing
09/04/2008, 08:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13290995#post13290995 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by phoenix001
I do weekly water changes with Tropic Marine Pro Reef. My ALK right now is 11dkh, Mg between 12-1300 and my calc is 425. I have a blue milli that is not doing this. My ph hovers around 7.9-8.0 but does drop at night to around 7.7.

To be honest, I have been struggling with maintaining Alk, but lately I have kept around 10-11. I wonder if my lower mg reading is the problem?

how much water are you changing out? 11 for the alk is high but i now only experience RTN with high alk. your mg and ca are fine, mg is not the cause of the problem. the ph is not that off during the day night a little low but again probably not the cause of the problem (maybe opening a window near the tank if possible would help the ph a bit). for what it's worth i was using TM during this time and have since stopped using it.

i always thought it was the alk but with high alk now i get RTN and low alk i get complete polyp retraction and straight exoskeleton showing (haven't seen what is beyond that!)...first signs of probable RTN maybe.

ssavader
09/04/2008, 09:18 PM
I agree with kingsland. The correct term is "mesemchymal filaments". The term "Mesenchymal" refers to an anatomic structure involved in feeding. The extension of these feeding filaments is seen in LPS coral like modern coral (Cynarina sp.). Mine does this often and he has done well for more than 4 years- so I do not believe that it is a sign of coral stress or eminent death.

kingsland
09/04/2008, 09:44 PM
I might also add, that stirring the subtrate invokes a similar feeding response. I have had the staghorn for close to six years and the millies between four and five years. Although I am not an expert by any means, I question whether the extension of the filamets is an indicator of stress. Through observing my tank over time, typically stress is indicated by loss of color and/or decreased polyp extension.

Mchava
09/04/2008, 10:17 PM
I also agree with ssavader and kingsland. I have it happen when I feed my fish and up to this day, I have not had any die. I've seen it happen with all types of acros not just milliporas. I had my torts,efflos and even some of my caps do this when I feed. Nothing to worry about.

Oldude
09/04/2008, 11:36 PM
Looks to me like you may also have a few hydroids growing on that baby.

phoenix001
09/05/2008, 09:47 AM
Ok, well it seems as if there is a split between this behaviour being a feeding response and an indication of water problems. I have several other species of SPS in the tank and none of them are doing this. In fact I have a big blue milli cloese to both of these frags that is not exhibiting this behaviour. I did recently adjust the flow on that side of the tank - I have a Korallia 4 on that side and I adjusted it some because it was beating down on a slimer I have. I'm not sure what to do with the PH. there is no window nearby that I would feel comfortable opening up - its hot here in cincy, so the AC runs all the time. I'm trying to get the Alk down to 10dkh by adjusting the amount of Kalk I add in my top off - right now I add 25 gallons of RO/DI and 27 tsp of Kalk, let it sit overnght and then drip it in. Mag is @ 1250 - within range but I woud, prefer it aroud 1350.

Oldude - Where do you see th hydroids - ou must have better eyes than me :)

phoenix001
09/05/2008, 09:52 AM
Oh, I forgot to answer a question. I change out 10% of the water every week +/- a few days here and there when my schedule is really busy. Again, I use Tropic Marin Pro Reef. I have to buffer the Alk some with baking soda and should buffer mag some as well, but I don't. SG is 1.026 and tank temp stays fairly constant around 79-80.

stunreefer
09/05/2008, 12:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13293677#post13293677 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mchava
I also agree with ssavader and kingsland. I have it happen when I feed my fish and up to this day, I have not had any die. I've seen it happen with all types of acros not just milliporas. I had my torts,efflos and even some of my caps do this when I feed. Nothing to worry about.
I have to add a +1 here....

I've experienced this the first time with my efflo/soli, and multiple colonies at the same time. I've also seen it on millis. The first time I freaked out, as it appeared like something had picked at the polyps causing them to "extend" like that. After much observation and testing, I found nothing out of the ordinary. To this day they still do it occasionally, but I think nothing of it as they're growing great and showing fantastic colors. BTW... The first time I saw it happen was over six months ago.

At this point I still cannot say Im 100% sure its not stress related, but I dont know what would be causing it randomly. As I said they look great and still grow so....

phoenix001
09/06/2008, 12:33 PM
Well, were now going on 3 day's now and both millis are still showing filaments. Not sure what to make of it, but I guess I won't worry too much

ScallopKing
09/06/2008, 05:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13301969#post13301969 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by phoenix001
Well, were now going on 3 day's now and both millis are still showing filaments. Not sure what to make of it, but I guess I won't worry too much

that's a lot of filaments really, how much, where and the timeframe would have me concerned. i used to have filaments when i fed too but nothing looking like that unless it was unhappy. here are some things i have done to fix this problem.

-changed salts
-started weekly water changes
-vacuum sand deadspots as part of water changes (started once a week, now once a month i vacuum the sand, eventually just replace with more directly in the tank from the bag when it runs low, i don't pull alot out but it is nasty what does come out).
-calibrate refractometer with Pinpoint Salinity Fluid
-changed all ca reactor media to the big, coarse type
-changed autotoff from litermeter 3 to JBJ ATO
-removed all phosban phosphate removal reactor media
-replaced with active carbon in both reactors, replace monthly and run 24x7
-stopped adding all coral food supplements
- i add only ca, alk, mg, bromide, flouride, strontium supplements now, that's it.
-unfortunately minized my fish count but i believe now smaller lesss fish the better

if any of this helps then it is was worthwhile. my corals have exhibited the same exact thing in the past and in my experience it was not positive. i went through pain trying to figure it out. hth.

SeeDemTails
09/06/2008, 06:11 PM
They do this when they are ****ed. If both of them are doing this then you have an issue with your chemistry. It isnt the salt.

Looks like they are not happy with your alk levels, or swings.

phoenix001
09/08/2008, 08:15 AM
Water params are good - some issues with Alk stability. Why do you think its just these 2 frags? BTW, they have stopped doing it. Something to consider....I have several medium sized SPS colonies and as they grow, I adjust my flow - move my Korallia 4's around, adjust my closed loop, etc. I recently made some adjustments that decreased the flow these 2 frags were getting. I wonder if that in any way contributed to the behaviour. I tinkered with the flow again late yesterday to where they are getting decent flow and now the beahaviour has stopped.

stunreefer
09/08/2008, 08:44 AM
Hmmmm... I might get a bit on edge now. I noticed my AC red Milli doing this again over the weekend and I though of you phoenix001, however as ScallopKing mentioned, I have never witnessed it for prolonged periods, generally only a few hours.

I would suspect something is nipping at it now. Perhaps you have RBs that are anoying it? Perhaps you have AEFWs that are stressing it out?

SeeDemTails
09/08/2008, 11:39 AM
The only time mine slime up like that is if they get hit with a cloud or alkalinity component. And it only lasts for a few minutes.

firefish128
09/08/2008, 06:34 PM
My millies do the same thing after i feed the fish, if your using garlic or selcon, in your food mixture, stop using it.