PDA

View Full Version : hang on skimmer

zoo
09/04/2008, 04:17 PM
which is a better H.O.B. protein simmer, acua-c or octopus? i have a remora but was wondering if the octopus hang on back was better any advice would help

cveverly
09/04/2008, 05:12 PM
I have owned both and I like the Octopus better. I could never get consistency from my AquaC HOBs. I had the Remora and Remora Pro. They would work great for a while and then just quit pulling skimmate at the rate they should. I tried cleaning and swapping pumps but could never keep them working like they should.

One of the down sides of the Octopus is the size. If you have the room I think you would be happy with the change. I currently have the Octo 100F. I get the best result running a wetter skim. I get about half of the collector cup filled everyday. I do get some mico bubbles when the skimmer is working hard (feeding time). Mine is very quiet. The setup instructions are awful but it is not hard to figure out.

downhillbiker
09/04/2008, 06:15 PM
i would just set up a rubbermaid or fish tank sump, and get an in sump skimmer. seems like a pain, but will help so much in the future. i ran sumpless for a long time, with a HOB via aqua multi skimmer deluxe, and it worked great, but i must say...as soon as i added a sump and got a better skimmer, it made the tank much cleaner. the other skimmer did the job, just not as fast. i feed a very nasty food with lots of mixed particles, and i want to spot feed corals and fish, and then skim out as fast as possible, and the opportunity for better skimmers is huge when you get a sump.

crashrat
09/04/2008, 06:57 PM
If you're considering the Octo, check to see if they have the new line in. They now are using the Secca pump on the 100 type, AI believe it's call 800 now, they also have a new line
http://www.coralvue.com/Hang-On-The-BackSkimmers.html
I'm torn between the Octo and WM myself.

zoo
09/04/2008, 07:08 PM
thanks for the advice i plan on getting the oct bh-300 or just wait for their new bh 1000

da1jewfish
09/04/2008, 08:30 PM
TYPHOON! By D&D I have had it about a months now and I could not be happier. For $95 it was worth much more... it really is impressive. I am going to replace my coralife with it.
They do make one for larger tanks, Terminator.

crashrat
09/05/2008, 06:33 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13292273#post13292273 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zoo
thanks for the advice i plan on getting the oct bh-300 or just wait for their new bh 1000

I believe aquacave was getting them in last week, might want to call them, look into the new model wih the Secca pump too.

zoo
09/05/2008, 11:49 AM
i called aquacave and they said due to the hurricane they will get them next week

crashrat
09/15/2008, 11:17 AM
Nice, I was told they had them in stock. A month ago they said they would have them in a week. Then it was one more week, yet again one more week.

GreenReefer77
09/15/2008, 12:35 PM
just called, in stock at aquacave, not on the site yet though