PDA

View Full Version : Moorish Idol for the Reef??

Texastravis
09/04/2008, 10:51 PM
I would love to put a moorish idol in my 300 reef but somewhat scared to. I have read that they could possibly be reef nippers and I have read that they are reef nippers. I know in the wild the feed on sponges but what kinds??? I heard the corals they are more paticular with are polyps and perhaps LPS (Large Polyp Stony coral)

Im looking for some answers. Preferrably some people that keep or have kept a moorish idol in their reef. I would think if food was in ample supply they might not touch the reef?

If you have seen or heard of this fish eating corals please say so and what coral/types of corals they like in paticular.

I will have a mixed reef of all corals.

Thanks

sly fox
09/05/2008, 12:18 PM
ive never had one...i have seen one kept with sps,lps and zoas... only a tiny amount will feed in captivity... you might see yourself going through a few and if you cant get one to eat substitute food, its quite likely it'll have a lunch on your corals

jda
09/05/2008, 01:20 PM
A few have done it with good success in SPS dominated reefs. There are some long threads on Idols if you can get the search to work.

You will have 2 obsticles - 1). just getting it to live/eat in captivity and then 2). seeing if it will coexist with your corals.

Texastravis
09/05/2008, 02:14 PM
Getting it to eat/live I believe wont be too hard. I have had one in the past in a Fish only tank and it did great. Its best to always have foood out for them at all times along with putting them in QT for a very long time so they can be target fed and they can establish a good eating habit. Im just afraid that my idol will mess with my corals, sigh

Spooky208
09/06/2008, 02:26 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=993712
Here's a thread thats mighty long but very helpful.

Chihuahua6
09/06/2008, 08:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13297147#post13297147 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Texastravis
Getting it to eat/live I believe wont be too hard. I have had one in the past in a Fish only tank and it did great. Its best to always have foood out for them at all times along with putting them in QT for a very long time so they can be target fed and they can establish a good eating habit. Im just afraid that my idol will mess with my corals, sigh

What happened to it?

Texastravis
09/06/2008, 10:30 AM
I sold the 200 gallon tank and the person that bought it wouldnt buy it unless it came with the Moorish Idol. had him for about a year and then it died after about 6 months in the care of the other person. What a bummer.

benzc01
09/06/2008, 10:57 PM
MINE IS A YEAR OLD AND NEVER TOUCHED ANYTHING UNTIL LAST MONTH WHEN I INTRODUCED SOME NEW RED ACANS AND SIMILAR COLORED ZOAS HE DEVOWERED THEM IN A MATTER OF MIN, DONT TOUCH MY SPS WHICH IS MOSTLY WHAT I HAVE BUT HAVE SEEN HIMN PICK AT SOME FROGSPAWN BUT NOT TO THE POINT TO CAUSE REAL DAMAGE , BUT I DEF WOULDNT RISK THEM WITH REDDISH LPS, ATLEAST WITH MY EXPERIENCE OH AND THEY DONT REALLY EAT MUCH SPONGE, I BOUGHT A COUPLE DIFFERENT KINDA AND COLORS OF SPONGE AND HE NEVER TOUCHED THEM, I FEED HIM MYSIS, BLOODWORMS SEAWEED, BRINE FLAKE AND NEW LIFE SPECTRUM PELLETS , THE PELLETS I THINK ARE THE SECRET TO KEEPING ONE