PDA

View Full Version : maroon clown and RBTA anemone issues

elm66
09/05/2008, 08:38 AM
Hi There,
I am new to anemone and maroon clown fish behavior. I have had a couple of maroon clown fishes for the past few years without any anemone. I just introduced in my tank a new anemone. The introduction generated great interest from the pair but the male started pulling tentacles. The female in the mean time started to grab the mantel of the anemone without ripping it off. The result is that the anemone closed and moved to a location where it is not to easy to reach by the clowns. Note that for about 1 full day. I introduced the anemone within a container to avoid having the animal bothered as it was getting acclimated. Before removing the container, the anemone was fully opened.
I am afraid for the survival of the anemone and would like your opinion on that matter.
Thanks

jkrentz2515
09/05/2008, 09:45 AM
What is the size of the anemone and the maroons? They are known to be very violent with their anemones and may end up killing it.

elm66
09/05/2008, 12:41 PM
The anemone is fairly large when opened or about the size of the female. The male is of course much smaller.

Eric

Mike31154
09/05/2008, 05:07 PM
I have a Maroon Pair hosted in a GBTA. The nem was fairly small when introduced and at the time I only had a small Maroon (now the female). It actually took a month or so for the clown to take to the nem. Currently the female is about three times the size as when purchased but the anemone has also grown and is a bit larger than the big clown. I've often observed both the small male and the female "mouthing" the tentacles but it's fairly gentle, there's never any damage and the anemone does not close up or move as a result of this behaviour.
With respect to your situation, since the nem is close to the same size as your female Maroon and there's been no real damage, I would simply keep an eye on things and be prepared to isolate the RBTA if things get out of hand. Otherwise give it some time and with luck they will become one big happy family.

elm66
09/05/2008, 06:30 PM
Thanks Mike,

Last night, I left the anemone out with the clowns, hoping that the night would be quieter for the anemone. I found it, this morning, completely closed trying to evade the attackers by moving under a rock. I re-isolated it into a plastic container. I will try to move it to a different location in the tank where the clowns do not usually go and hope it will take them time to reach it. I may be naive as it seems their instinct is very strong.

Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks again
Eric

Mike31154
09/05/2008, 08:31 PM
Sounds as if you're in for some trying times. All I can do is relate my personal experience which seems to have been less stressful than yours. One thing I've learned in the hobby is that these creatures are quite the individuals even in the same species. Part of your anemone's behaviour (moving) may also be due to the fact that it is still acclimating to it's new environment, your tank. The aggressive behaviour of your Maroons doesn't appear to be helping so I think you're doing the right thing by giving it a break in the plastic container.