PDA

View Full Version : Shipping live coral!!

trpigg
09/05/2008, 01:11 PM
I am trying to ship some coral but i dont know if i just bag the coral or do i have to fill the bag with pure oxygen!!

AngeloM3
09/05/2008, 01:53 PM
Ummmm... were you joking? I hope so.

The bag needs to be much bigger than the coral your shipping. Fill it up 3/4 of the way with tank water. Close the back real quick so get air on the upper 1/4 of the bag. That allows water to slosh around and produce O2.

Then you need to use foam or something really soft to surround the bag on all four sides.

Lastly you'll need hand warmers. Activate and put at least one in the box. It's a very good idea even if the weather is warm where you are... you never know how the air conditioning will be when traveling to it's destination.

Be sure to ship overnight. Anything long the coral will most likely die.

rogergolf66
09/05/2008, 02:01 PM
I use pure oxygen. I just go to my LFS and I pay them $1 per bag / coral and I bring my water in. they bag it and put the oxygen in. Ship over night. I am in Florida so I freeze a cup or so of water a ziplock and tape it to the top of the cooler box that it ships in. The frozen pack can't touch any of the coral. if up north I guess you would want hand warmers as mentioned.

Roger

rogergolf66
09/05/2008, 02:02 PM
by the way what kind of coral? softies are the easiest but they need to be healthy. don't ship new cut frags or softies.

Roger

Dino
09/05/2008, 03:24 PM
:) Try reading through this thread.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1239871