PDA

View Full Version : rainforest cafe tanks

Aj Flip
09/05/2008, 04:22 PM
the one in great lakes mall neat Detroit has some of the biggest vlamingis and unicorns i think possible, they are almost 2ft long!!

what have u guys seen????????

yukonblizzard
09/05/2008, 04:35 PM
Yeah I know what you mean.

I go to that one all the time and I am always amazed at the sizes of the fish. They also have some pretty large French Angels and a large Garibaldi Damsel. I wonder who takes care of the tanks. Because sometimes I see them scuba diving in the big one.

Aj Flip
09/05/2008, 04:38 PM
they should have a real reef cause its all FOs

Peter Eichler
09/05/2008, 04:38 PM
Heh, I worked at one in college for a little while... Most what I've seen involves neglect and utter disregard for the fish. The guy taking care of the one in Gurnee was forced to add thousands of dollars in fish to the tank before it had cycled, I think you can guess what happened from there... The tank was fully stocked at least twice more with many more fish deaths for the remaider of the time I worked there.

Aj Flip
09/05/2008, 04:47 PM
you should have taken over the operation dude
the tanks do look overstocked but then again the fish choose to chill on one side of the tank

Peter Eichler
09/05/2008, 04:55 PM
Didn't want to have anything to do with that nonsense... The guy that was taking care of them was a former maintenance guy that I had known for years. The issues wasn't him not knowing what to do, the issue was the corportation forcing him to add several large fish at a time for the appearance of the restaurant. He either quit or was fired and I never saw or heard from him again. The same thing happened all over again with the new guy...

Aj Flip
09/05/2008, 04:57 PM
dam that sucks, surprisingly though some restaurants tanks are properly kept

NealNano
09/05/2008, 05:07 PM
The Rainforest Cafe in Arizona is sorry. Almost all the first have some sort of disease or other. Mostly due to a poor diet. I know the guy that services the tanks and he can get the owner to invest in a better diet for the fish. He even offered to make a special home made food for very inexpensive. Most of the tanks are over stock to IMO. Its sad but what can you do.

Peter Eichler
09/05/2008, 05:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13297993#post13297993 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Aj Flip
dam that sucks, surprisingly though some restaurants tanks are properly kept

Yours seems to be the exception rather than the rule. I've seen 5 different Rainforest Cafes and all had very unhealthy looking fish. Lots of HLLE and sickly skinny fish from what I've seen, and those are the ones that manage to live for decent length of time.

jpa0741
09/05/2008, 08:12 PM
The one in the Great Lake Crossing Mall near Detroit is as bad as the others people are talking about. Overstocked and full of diease. I am sure they are always pulling out dead fish and replacing with new ones.

mm949
09/06/2008, 08:13 AM
it is a shame when corporate thinks its cheaper to replace the fish then it is to hire a professional and use proper PRO grade equipment

Aj Flip
09/06/2008, 08:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13299023#post13299023 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jpa0741
The one in the Great Lake Crossing Mall near Detroit is as bad as the others people are talking about. Overstocked and full of diease. I am sure they are always pulling out dead fish and replacing with new ones.

so they've got people on the look for 2ft long vlamingis and unicorns?

jpa0741
09/06/2008, 09:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13304352#post13304352 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Aj Flip
so they've got people on the look for 2ft long vlamingis and unicorns?

Oh ya. I will bet you anything they came in close to that size. They did not grow them that large.

lflint
09/07/2008, 04:49 AM
There is a little cafe next door to the giant That Pet Place store in Lancaster, PA. They have about a 90 gallon reef that is absolutely horrendous. No flow, clogged filters, fish gasping for air, algae everywhere. The few softies in the tank are real survivors - they are probably resilient enough to make it in a warm can of beer.

If I were That Pet Place I'd offer free service on the tank because if a potential customer thought that that's what all saltwater tanks end up looking like it would drive business away!

lflint
09/07/2008, 04:50 AM
My wife and I bought a tiny Vlamingi that was about 3" long two years ago. It's now 14" long.